Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: file formats

Question file formats

Hi there,
    I am an artist, but photography has never been my focus, so bear with me on this! I am borrowing a Nikon digital camera for the first time to take pictures of my artwork for a contest I am entering. The photos are coming out nicely. However, once I transfer them onto my computer with the card reader, if I try to rename the photo, it is no longer a jpeg.
    It loses the explorer icon it had originally, as well. I am not sure why- Then if I literally type in jpeg with the new name, it switches back to the original jpeg format with the new name but with the explorer icon. The original reason I tried changing it was because I started having trouble opening the photo thru explorer (after a bunch of them opening fine, it would then just stop) I am not sure if that was some other technical problem, but anyway- I guess I am unsure what format it should be in, when for the contest rules, it merely requires that it should be a jpeg.
    When I do change the name and it loses the jpeg format, I can still open them nicely in some programs, but I want to be able to be sure it stays a jpeg.
    Can someone guide this inexperienced digital photographer???
    Much appreciated-
    Erin

WIndows knows what kind of file it is by the extension, the three letter code at the end of a file, right after the period. By default, Windows 2000 and Windows XP hide the extensions for known file names to reduce the clutter in the names. I think when you're renaming the files you're erasing the extension.

When you have a window open, follow this:

Click on Tools
    Click on Folder Options
    Select the View tab
    Scroll down the list until you find an option like "Hide extensions for known filetypes" and uncheck it
    Click on "Apply to all folders to make all folders on the computer behave this way.

That will display the file extensions for all files, and you can change the names without accidentally changing the file association. BTW, you're not changin the format, it's still a JPEG, just not recognized as one anymore.

If you don't want to do the above, just every time you rename a file make sure you end the new name with .xxx, the X's being the file format. In your case, .jpg.

Good luck.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

A few basics...

Hi Erin,

First of all, I want you to know that many of us here understand your frustrations with the challenge of working with digital image editing. Even those that have both photo and computer experience went through much of the confusion you describe...

Ok, about the icon associated with your files. That has NOTHING to do with the file type, but rather the program that has been chosen to be associated with the file (IOW, the program you set to open and view the file).

If you do not want jpegs to automatically open in a web browser when you click on them, you can change this setting. However, I wouldn't recommend it, as a web browser is a good basic jpeg viewer. I'm not sure why you're having the trouble you mentioned.

You can always view your jpegs in another program (ie photoshop) by FIRST opening the program, then click FILE>OPEN and browse your hard drive to find the jpeg.

What program are you using when you rename your jpegs? If it's an image editing program, this is probably why the icon changes. If you rename the file when you are in a Windows FOLDER WINDOW, then just the name will change and nothing else (right click on the file and choose RENAME).

When working with jpegs, the thing you have to be careful about is RESAVING them multiple times. Everytime you resave a jpeg image, you will lose image information. Depending on the compression you choose, this loss can be significant.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the basic method of editing a digicam jpeg is to open it in an image editing program like photoshop, make a COPY in a native format (in ps this would be SAVE AS and choose a psd file type). Then perform your editing. In your case if you're satisfied with the way the basic image looks, you may just want to resize and perhaps sharpen just a bit. NOW is when you SAVE FOR WEB in jpeg format, using as little compression (highest percentage jpeg) as is practical for the size limitations you have. BTW, when you save your psd and final jpeg, you can name the file anything you want.

So, when you're finished, you should three seperate image files: the original camera jpeg file, the image editing program native file, and the final jpeg made from that file.

This may sound like an awful lot to go through to get your photo ready for the contest, but once you do it a few times, you should get the hang of it.

I'm sure others will add some helpful tips. Any questions about any of this, let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by Erin
    Hi there,
    I am an artist, but photography has never been my focus, so bear with me on this! I am borrowing a Nikon digital camera for the first time to take pictures of my artwork for a contest I am entering. The photos are coming out nicely. However, once I transfer them onto my computer with the card reader, if I try to rename the photo, it is no longer a jpeg.
    It loses the explorer icon it had originally, as well. I am not sure why- Then if I literally type in jpeg with the new name, it switches back to the original jpeg format with the new name but with the explorer icon. The original reason I tried changing it was because I started having trouble opening the photo thru explorer (after a bunch of them opening fine, it would then just stop) I am not sure if that was some other technical problem, but anyway- I guess I am unsure what format it should be in, when for the contest rules, it merely requires that it should be a jpeg.
    When I do change the name and it loses the jpeg format, I can still open them nicely in some programs, but I want to be able to be sure it stays a jpeg.
    Can someone guide this inexperienced digital photographer???
    Much appreciated-
    Erin
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Good info guys... the only other thing I have to add is that you can usually right click on the file and select "Open With..." from that pop-up menu. A Open With dialogue box will open up, and depending if you are using XP, 2000, 98, etc. you should see a list of applications that you can select. In XP, the dialogue shows you the recommended program or programs. In 2000 (and below) all you see is a list of progams. Scroll through the list until you find the application you'd like to open them in, click on it to select it, then click OK. There is a check box that says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file." You can leave that unchecked to be able to have the flexibility to open your .jpgs in any program you wish. If you check the box, the icon for all .jpgs will change to display the icon of which ever program you use to open the file, however, the actual file format won't change unless you do a Save As while in the program. (As Steve mentioned above.)

Thank you so much for the info.
    That is a huge help! I have a lot to learn, and this website is great to just get specifics answered quickly! I will just keep experimenting, and ask more questions if I need to.
    Thanks for taking the time-
    Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    WIndows knows what kind of file it is by the extension, the three letter code at the end of a file, right after the period. By default, Windows 2000 and Windows XP hide the extensions for known file names to reduce the clutter in the names. I think when you're renaming the files you're erasing the extension.

When you have a window open, follow this:

Click on Tools
    Click on Folder Options
    Select the View tab
    Scroll down the list until you find an option like "Hide extensions for known filetypes" and uncheck it
    Click on "Apply to all folders to make all folders on the computer behave this way.

That will display the file extensions for all files, and you can change the names without accidentally changing the file association. BTW, you're not changin the format, it's still a JPEG, just not recognized as one anymore.

If you don't want to do the above, just every time you rename a file make sure you end the new name with .xxx, the X's being the file format. In your case, .jpg.

Good luck.

Thank you!

That's great info- thank you! I was using the "open with" after I had renamed it and it appeared to lose the jpeg. But, now I will try doing "open with" before I change the name. I think I was having trouble even doing a "save as" once it was in a program to name it then. The couple of programs I opened them in had no "save as" option. I just opened them in Picture Viewer and some other basic program. My only concern is that when I submit everything for the contest, that they have no trouble opening it. They are not saying what application they will use, but I am assuming photoshop. As long as it is definitely a jpeg, they should have no problem opening it, right? I will keep experimenting. I really appreciate the time you took to respond!
    Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrick
    Good info guys... the only other thing I have to add is that you can usually right click on the file and select "Open With..." from that pop-up menu. A Open With dialogue box will open up, and depending if you are using XP, 2000, 98, etc. you should see a list of applications that you can select. In XP, the dialogue shows you the recommended program or programs. In 2000 (and below) all you see is a list of progams. Scroll through the list until you find the application you'd like to open them in, click on it to select it, then click OK. There is a check box that says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file." You can leave that unchecked to be able to have the flexibility to open your .jpgs in any program you wish. If you check the box, the icon for all .jpgs will change to display the icon of which ever program you use to open the file, however, the actual file format won't change unless you do a Save As while in the program. (As Steve mentioned above.)

Thank you!

This a huge help- a lot of info. to absorb, but I will keep experimenting! I am not even allowed to edit the photos at all for the contest. It is technically a digital photo contest, (but I am using my own fine art as part of the subject matter), so my original digital photos have to be submitted as is (no touch ups) except for maybe changing the size.
    I was just opening them up in some very basic programs like Picture Viewer just to see them when I was having trouble opening them in the browser.
    I was actually renaming them in the windows folder, but literally typing over the original name, and was not adding a jpeg extension. Then the format seemed to change. I will right click and do "rename" and make sure there is the extension or open a program first and then open the file. The basic programs that I was opening them in, however, didn't even seem to have a "save as" option even if I wanted to resave it. I am not sure if that's because these programs were so limiting, but that seemed strange.
    Thanks for the info. about compression. I will keep that in mind.
    My only concern is that the judges of this contest are able to open the photos with no problem. As long as it is clearly a jpeg, they should have no problem opening them in any application for picture viewing, right? I am assuming they will be using photoshop, but I don' t really know.
    I really appreciate all the time you spent in responding!!! I am entering the contest in the next 2 weeks, and some quick answers were just what I needed!
    Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Hi Erin,

First of all, I want you to know that many of us here understand your frustrations with the challenge of working with digital image editing. Even those that have both photo and computer experience went through much of the confusion you describe...

Ok, about the icon associated with your files. That has NOTHING to do with the file type, but rather the program that has been chosen to be associated with the file (IOW, the program you set to open and view the file).

If you do not want jpegs to automatically open in a web browser when you click on them, you can change this setting. However, I wouldn't recommend it, as a web browser is a good basic jpeg viewer. I'm not sure why you're having the trouble you mentioned.

You can always view your jpegs in another program (ie photoshop) by FIRST opening the program, then click FILE>OPEN and browse your hard drive to find the jpeg.

What program are you using when you rename your jpegs? If it's an image editing program, this is probably why the icon changes. If you rename the file when you are in a Windows FOLDER WINDOW, then just the name will change and nothing else (right click on the file and choose RENAME).

When working with jpegs, the thing you have to be careful about is RESAVING them multiple times. Everytime you resave a jpeg image, you will lose image information. Depending on the compression you choose, this loss can be significant.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the basic method of editing a digicam jpeg is to open it in an image editing program like photoshop, make a COPY in a native format (in ps this would be SAVE AS and choose a psd file type). Then perform your editing. In your case if you're satisfied with the way the basic image looks, you may just want to resize and perhaps sharpen just a bit. NOW is when you SAVE FOR WEB in jpeg format, using as little compression (highest percentage jpeg) as is practical for the size limitations you have. BTW, when you save your psd and final jpeg, you can name the file anything you want.

So, when you're finished, you should three seperate image files: the original camera jpeg file, the image editing program native file, and the final jpeg made from that file.

This may sound like an awful lot to go through to get your photo ready for the contest, but once you do it a few times, you should get the hang of it.

I'm sure others will add some helpful tips. Any questions about any of this, let me know...

Thread Information