Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Theater shots, Maxxum 5 vs Nikon N75

I'm just a mom trying to get decent shots of my kids ballroom dancing in a theater setting. My point & shoot does not work well. Will either of these cameras work for that? What do I need to know/do to get these types of pics?

Your point and shoot may do a better job with faster film (try ISO 800) but maybe not good enough. Either of those cameras should do a good job, but this is a hard thing to photograph. There are a lot of ways to do it and all give you a different result. I'm not trying to discourage you, but that's the story here. Low light and action are a difficult combination!

You might want to try faster film than that - I've heard good things about Fuji 1600 color negative film but haven't tried it myself. I'd go with Kodak T-Max 3200 black and white, but set the camera at 1600. Ilford also makes a film which is very good. It will take a pro lab to get good results from these black and white films, which can get expensive. Also, realize that they will be grainy - a look that I personally don't mind, sometimes it can add to the shot.

The other way is to shoot with a flash. This is probably where the point & shoot is having problems - the flash just isn't powerful enough. Depending on your budget, a good flash can be a lifesaver. I'd probably stick with either Nikon or Canon due to the amount of accessories available and their commitment to digital. Minolta is pretty new with digital SLR's - they don't even have one that's on the market yet.

Thread Information