Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Fred

Question Diffusion Dome with Nikon SB-80DX or SB-800 Speedlights??

Does anyone have experience using the Diffusion Dome that comes standard with the Nikon SB-80DX and SB-800 speedlights? I own a Nikon N-80, and plan on purchasing the SB-800, primarily for informal portraits and candid photos. I was wondering how useful the diffusion dome is as far as making flash illuminated photographs more flattering (flash aimged straight on OR bounced) when it’s the primary source of light. Thanks!

I haven't used that one, but have used a Sto-Fen Omni Bounce on an SB28, which is pretty similar. It does work pretty well, but it's designed to spread the light everywhere so it can bounce off the ceiling and walls. Of course, if you have a 20' ceiling and you're in the middle of a big room it probably won't do much other than reduce your working distance by about half.

It does diffuse the light a little, so it's a little softer even for outdoor fill flash. I've heard it's good for macro work too.

AV is right in everythig he says.

The doem is designed to BOUNCE and SPREAD the light, it does very little softening on its own. One thing though, they are meant to be used pointed at about a 45 degree angle to keep most of the light going towards the subject. Typically you wouldn't point it directly at the subject, too much light being tossed at the ground. Of course there are always exceptions depending on what you want...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    One thing though, they are meant to be used pointed at about a 45 degree angle
    Actually, Sto-Fen says that it will fool the sensor in the flash if you point it straight. Never understood that because most people are using it with TTL flash, like what most cameras made in the last 20 years have. Heck, even Leica does it!

I've never tried it straight, but works as it should at the 45 degree angle.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Actually, Sto-Fen says that it will fool the sensor in the flash if you point it straight. Never understood that because most people are using it with TTL flash, like what most cameras made in the last 20 years have. Heck, even Leica does it!

I've never tried it straight, but works as it should at the 45 degree angle.
    I'm sure they are assuming that people are using the thyristor on the flash itself. You're correct, TTL won't be affected.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information