Cleaning dust from slides

Printable View

• 07-03-2004, 12:05 PM
    CTPhil
    Cleaning dust from slides
    A really basic question, I searched but could'nt find where it had been discussed before. I recently joined the digital age, and discovered the wonders of digital photo editing. I bought a DiMage Scan Dual IV to scan in some of my photo collection which goes back to the 60's. I discovered that my slides, even though archived in plastic sleeves, had acquired dust and it affects the scanned image. So what now? Air in a can?
  • 07-03-2004, 04:10 PM
    another view
    Fun, isn't it :rolleyes: ! Yes, canned air will work (don't shake the can when spraying) or an anti-static brush made for film. I also hold the slides up at an angle to my halogen desk lamp to make sure I've got it clean. Even then, one of the first things I do in Photoshop is to clone out the remaining dust.

Some film scanners have Digital ICE which does this automatically. Unfortunately, it can't be added to a scanner later or I'd have it myself.
  • 07-03-2004, 04:12 PM
    Sebastian
    To add to Steve's post, make sure you keep the canned air VERY level, and liquid spray will permenantly mark the slides, I learned the hard way. Luckily it wasn't an important series of shots, as the spray covered about three frames.
  • 07-03-2004, 07:24 PM
    CTPhil
    Thank you for the replies, canned air it is. My scanner does have a dust removal system, but according to the manual only works on fine specks that can't be mechanically removed.