Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

uv filter and Polorizing filter

Hi All,

I am new in photography but I love to take photos. I have a UV filter on my lence permanent and I bouught a new Polorising filter today. My questions are

1. Do I need to remove UV filter if I want to use Polorising filter or can I use Polorising filter permenent like UV?

2. What is the use of circular polorising filter?

Please kindly help me...

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: uv filter and Polorizing filter

Welcome to the forum. To answer your first question, I would say yes. If you are going to use the polarizer, take the UV filter off. The more filters you have, the more you increase your chance of causing lens flare, ghosting or other issues. I would not use the polorizer all of the time. A polarizer is designed to cut reflections from shiny, non-metallic surfaces like water, and leaves. Think of a polarizer as sunglasses for your camera. The polarizer will also block some of the light coming into your camera, causing you to need a slower shutterspeed, or a wider aperture.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by jollys
    Take just your filter outside with you on a bright sunny day. Hold it up in front of your eyes and look through it. While looking through it, slowly rotate it around from 0 to 90 degress while continuing to look through it. Try doing this while looking at different directions in the sky. Try doing it while looking at the grass. Try doing it while looking at shiny metallic surfaces (where the effect will be minimal if even noticeable).

This is the best way to learn what a polarizer does. Also, it teaches you how to control the amount of polarizing effect you want and where it's most effective.

Quote Originally Posted by jollys
    Hi All,

I am new in photography but I love to take photos. I have a UV filter on my lence permanent and I bouught a new Polorising filter today. My questions are

1. Do I need to remove UV filter if I want to use Polorising filter or can I use Polorising filter permenent like UV?

Please kindly help me...
    NO you don't use a Polarizing filter like a permanent UV filter.

Can you stack filters, yes but you have to look out for Vignetting

Polarizing filter has many uses, removing reflections from windows and water, enhancing colors and darkening the sky to a deeper blue (this depends on the position of the sun). Also a polarizing filter almost acts like a ND filter.

The difference between a Polarizing filter and circular Polarizing filter is that the light exiting a circular polarizing filter is not polarized, most digital camera require this as polarizing light could cause problems with the function of the camera.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    The difference between a Polarizing filter and circular Polarizing filter is that the light exiting a circular polarizing filter is not polarized, most digital camera require this as polarizing light could cause problems with the function of the camera.

That's an interesting bit of info that I didn't know. But I learn something new here almost every day.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks all...really greate advise.

Thread Information