Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Canvas print framing?

I'm thinking about printing one of my photos on canvas because I think it would look great with the texture that canvas has, but I don't know how to frame such a photo. I've only really seen the gallery wrapped canvases, which don't have frames. From mpix I would either order a canvas on double matboard, or on a stretcher frame. For the matboard print, would I just frame it like any other print, but with no glass? And if I were to go for the stretcher frame, how do those get framed, or do they? Thanks for anything.
    My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Canvas print framing?

From what I have seen, the gallery wraps do not need to be framed. They print is wrapped around the frame and gives it a nice finished look that can go right on the wall. That's not to say you couldn't put it in a frame though. I have also seen canvas prints on a streatcher frame where the print was not wrapped around the outside of the frame. It showed just plain canvas around the edges of the frame. Something like that I would want in a frame.

I order all of my frames through www.framesbymail.com. If you click on Metal Frames at the top of the page, you will find 2 types of canvas frames. One is a Canvas Depth frame which as the name implies, is pretty deep. Looks like about an inch deep give or take depending on the frame style you choose. I would think that a wooden gallery wrap frame would fit inside these frames.

The other type of canvas frame they have is called a floater. That site doesn't offer plexiglass, backing or matts for these frames. I'm guessing your idea of ordering the print on a double mattboard would work for this type of frame. Also, I don't think I would cover a canvas print with glass, or plexiglass.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by dwaugh
    I'm thinking about printing one of my photos on canvas because I think it would look great with the texture that canvas has, but I don't know how to frame such a photo. I've only really seen the gallery wrapped canvases, which don't have frames. From mpix I would either order a canvas on double matboard, or on a stretcher frame. For the matboard print, would I just frame it like any other print, but with no glass? And if I were to go for the stretcher frame, how do those get framed, or do they? Thanks for anything.
    Just order it on a stretcher frame, as you can very easily order a frame for canvas paintings from an art supply house, locally or on the web.

Most metal frames depending on the vendor can be had in any size but allot of places the frame sides are in inch increments up to a set size then are in 2 inch increments. So I would make sure you check your vendor before you order the print.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks for the input so far. I should have stated better that I would not be ordering the gallery wrap because it's much more expensive and out of my price range right now. A stretcher frame with frame is most likely what I'll want. Also, I don't mat my prints for the most part, so it would just be a frame I need.
    My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I do almost all of my printing from Mpix, but I have never ordered anything on canvas from them do to the price. I have purchased 2 gallery wraps from Winkflash and I was pretty happy with the results. So if you do want a gallery wrap, you may want to check them out.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

ive also ordered a gallery wrap from winkflash and am happy with the results.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

www.museumbond.com

Depending on the size of the print, the cost to stretch the canvas to a frame might be only a bit more than having it framed would.

I print a lot of these, and I never frame them. They are always stretched around the frame, and then hung. Looks gorgeous. I think I have some photos somewhere, but not sure where they are.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thanks for the tips and idea. This would be very useful to me.

I love to have canvas prints of my photos. Thanks for the tips.

Thread Information