• 07-31-2008, 08:01 PM
    ouch
    Cant open file corrupt or invalid format
    Hi,
    This is my very first post and its kind of urgent.

I was traveling in australia, went to the great barrier reef and took some shots using my brand new Olympus 1030sw using a micro SD card.

It was the only camera we brought and took all of our shots with it.

But when I put the micro sd into a card reader only 4 of the photos would work the rest of the files would say "can't open file corrupt or invalid format" on my mac and "no preview available" on my PC.

For the longest time I could view the files on the camera only but now it doesnt even let me do that. Eventhough the files are on the card the camera does not recognize them either.

Are all of my shots from my vacation ruined?

Does anybody know what I can do to get them back?
  • 07-31-2008, 08:51 PM
    bluesguy
    Re: Cant open file corrupt or invalid format
    Note the type of file extension(s) that was created and search the net(google) or some other site looking for programs that will process(open) those extension(s) The manufacture of that card maybe able to assist you, if all else fails, check out a professional data recovery company that may be able to help and recover those files.

bluesguy
  • 08-01-2008, 07:55 PM
    freygr
    It's a shame that you would wait until you could not view them on the camera. If the camera can see them then you can use the USB connection between the camera and PC/MAC to down load them. Check the data recovery thread if the photos have not been over wiritten you should be able to recover your photos. Please note that you may have a card reader which doesn't support the SD card size.
  • 01-24-2011, 04:36 AM
    lilywhite
    Hello:) :)
    Many a times hard drive of Mac OSX gets damaged due to numerous reasons like virus attack, un-mountable drive, corruption in the hard drive etc. Due to corruption all the files present in the Mac OS becomes inaccessible including the photos. Due to corruption you will not be able to access any photos present in the Mac OS. In order to fix the error you need to format the hard drive of Mac after this process is completed all the photos are deleted. In order to restore the damaged photos you need to make use of photo recovery for mac. You can restore all the photos present in the Mac OS safely by using it.

:9: :9: :9: :9: :9:
  • 01-24-2011, 05:25 AM
    mwfanelli2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lilywhite
    Hello:) :)
    Many a times hard drive of Mac OSX gets damaged due to numerous reasons like virus attack, un-mountable drive, corruption in the hard drive etc. Due to corruption all the files present in the Mac OS becomes inaccessible including the photos. Due to corruption you will not be able to access any photos present in the Mac OS. In order to fix the error you need to format the hard drive of Mac after this process is completed all the photos are deleted. In order to restore the damaged photos you need to make use of [You can restore all the photos present in the Mac OS safely by using it.

It is highly unlikely to be a Mac disk problem as the Windows machine can't read the card either. Also, there are no known Mac viruses in the wild. With any version of UNIX, if the disk were unmountable, you would see nothing, read nothing.

Unlike Windows, erasing a drive reinstalling MacOS is rarely required. Besides, what good would a reinstall do on a bad drive?

The hints from others about connecting the camera directly or using a card rescue program are the very best choices.
  • 01-24-2011, 02:36 PM
    Skyman
    If you put the card in a usb reader on a pc and use the pc inspector music and images recovery software available below (direct download link)
    you should be fine.

I am looking for equivalent software for a mac but haven't found anything yet.

http://download.pcinspector.de/pci_us_smartrecovery.exe
  • 01-24-2011, 05:33 PM
    Chris350
    I have used Stellar Phoenix Photo recovery on various drives and cards with my mac OS-X snow leopard with good results. Including an external drive that had been formatted. It was cheap, and found *every* image file on my drives... Except the ones that had been over written.
  • 01-25-2011, 03:26 PM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris350
    I have used Stellar Phoenix Photo recovery on various drives and cards with my mac OS-X snow leopard with good results. Including an external drive that had been formatted. It was cheap, and found *every* image file on my drives... Except the ones that had been over written.

The main reason not being able to recover files is the file having been OVER WRITTEN! or reusing the files "name" in the same directory.

If you KNOW you need to recover any kind of file: DO NOT defrag the drive, install any software or save any files on the DRIVE, as it could over write the file(s) making the file(s) unrecoverable.

If you only have one drive which is not partitioned into two or more drives, you will have to have a: CD, USB flash drive(solid state), or USB portable hard drive; which is bootable with installed recovery software, which you will have to boot from and to save the recovered files to.
  • 02-20-2015, 10:46 PM
    chris007
    Hii,,it is obvious that you can not open corrupted and invalid format images on your system, There are various reasons for that but it really doesn't matter you must be interested in getting them back. You can do it by repairing it with any trusted tool and you can get more information at How to Recover Invalid Image getphotoback.com
  • 03-01-2015, 12:07 PM
    gryphonslair99
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just Remember......
    Attachment 93251
  • 04-04-2018, 01:51 AM
    Andrea
    Hi,
    Many of them said to try recovery software and I would suggest the same, but not a paid software initially. You can try Recuva which is a free software and the reviews are pretty good. Try using it, if it doesn't work you can purchase a good trustworthy software like Stellar Phoenix Photo recovery as Chris350 said.
    https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download
    Hope this would help.
  • 06-15-2019, 09:34 AM
    rechika
    The main thing is to ask your mother not to delete anything from the gadget. My mom like that, too, played games on the computer. Then she decided to play, she decided to remove the new search. In general, then my computer was loaded for a long time.
  • 06-21-2019, 10:55 AM
    florina
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    Hi,
    This is my very first post and its kind of urgent.

I was traveling in australia, went to the great barrier reef and took some shots using my brand new Olympus 1030sw using a micro SD card.

It was the only camera we brought and took all of our shots with it.

But when I put the micro sd into a card reader only 4 of the photos would work the rest of the files would say "can't open file corrupt or invalid format" on my mac and "no preview available" on my PC.

For the longest time I could view the files on the camera only but now it doesnt even let me do that. Eventhough the files are on the card the camera does not recognize them either.

Are all of my shots from my vacation ruined?

Does anybody know what I can do to get them back?

Try to restore files using the program DiskInternals Uneraser. On the official website you can download it https://www.diskinternals.com/uneraser/. This program recovers deleted and damaged files of any type. If your files were this program will help to get them back.
  • 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM
    gryphonslair99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by florina View Post
    Try to restore files using the program DiskInternals Uneraser. On the official website you can download it https://www.diskinternals.com/uneraser/. This program recovers deleted and damaged files of any type. If your files were this program will help to get them back.

You realize that you are posting this 11 years after the OP asked for help. I timeliness of your post in all likely hood is of no use to the OP at this late date.
  • 11-18-2019, 01:59 AM
    minion89
    Help file Camera and Photography Forum you share a lot of help to me. Thanks for sharing these help.
    vex
  • 11-22-2021, 11:21 AM
    Malkopers
    I also ran into the problem of corrupted files recently. In this case, the Partition Recovery program helped me. It is a powerful utility that will help you recover corrupted files of any format.