Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    It's hurricane season... again...

Canon flash and sync speed questions

Because almost all of my shots have been outdoors, I have not been using a flash on my Rebel TI. I am beginning to look into external flashes, and when I checked the sync speed for my camera, I was disappointed to see 1/90 of a second. Is there any way around this? I read somewhere that the 550ex can override this, but am not sure how that works, and would prefer to get the 420ex if it is capable of doing the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated- thanks!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Quote Originally Posted by kkraczek
    Because almost all of my shots have been outdoors, I have not been using a flash on my Rebel TI. I am beginning to look into external flashes, and when I checked the sync speed for my camera, I was disappointed to see 1/90 of a second. Is there any way around this? I read somewhere that the 550ex can override this, but am not sure how that works, and would prefer to get the 420ex if it is capable of doing the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated- thanks!
    Kristin,

The way the 550 can do high-speed sync is by replacing one powerful burst with many short bursts. The way the shutter works that's the only way to evenly cover the frame at fast shutter speeds. It's just a combination of buttons you press to turn it on, and then just set the shutter to whatever you want. However, the fact that it's now multiple short flashes means that the flash distance will be much shorter at higher speeds than at lower speeds. Not sure if the dRebel or 420 support high-speed sync or not. Thre are enough dRebel owners here to let them answer that one.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

420EX has high speed sync. I use the 420EX when I don't need as much power or the transmission ability of the 550EX. Plus it's lighter.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's hurricane season... again...
    Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you.
    I'm going for the 420ex.
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Quote Originally Posted by dsl712
    420EX has high speed sync. I use the 420EX when I don't need as much power or the transmission ability of the 550EX. Plus it's lighter.

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information