Canon 20 Ex Speedlite

Printable View

• 03-12-2004, 06:03 AM
    Dave E.
    Canon 20 Ex Speedlite
    Hello,

I just purchased this flash unit to be used with a Canon Rebel Digital. Before I dive into the owners manual, any words of advice, settings that have worked real well for you? Thanks!

-Dave-
  • 03-12-2004, 06:08 AM
    Dave E.
    Ah, that's a 420 EX Speedlite
    My key board got stuck, probably from consuming too many snacks while at the computer.....
  • 03-12-2004, 07:22 AM
    h2oskierc
    I love it, it does everything itself, so there are no settings. I usually leave the high-speed sync switch on, that way if I switch to TV and need it, it already is. It won't affect other pictures at all, as the flash will set the sync speed ignoring the setting of the HS switch unless you set a shutter speed higher than your camera's normal sync speed.
  • 03-13-2004, 08:28 PM
    magoo
    The beautiful thing about that flash is that it's easy to use and if you ever bought the 550ex flash you can use that as a slave for a tiny portable strobe system.
  • 03-17-2004, 07:47 PM
    AussieBloke
    Use bounce flash where you can, and when you do, attach a piece of white cardboard to the head of the flash to throw some light forward. You will get a very natural, even lighting this way, and no ugly shadows. Always remember to bounce off a white surface though.

Enjoy!
    Sean
  • 03-30-2004, 07:29 PM
    magoo
    also in addition to the white cardboard they sell some nice diffusers that attach to the front. I like to use the stoffen diffuser and you bounce the flash at about 45deg and you also get some nice lighting with that.