Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    rom

Angry Emergency! N80 not loading film

Three year old N80, well taken care of, never dropped. Double A battery pack. It refuses to load a roll of film as of today. There has been a general problem for the past year or so with fully rewinding film. Instead of getting the roll back to 'E' it gets to '0'. I then have to press both rewind buttons and sometimes it fully rewinds. The last roll made a strange clicking sound with each advanced frame. Now when I try loading a roll it tries to wind it but gives up after three seconds and displays 'Err' on the lcd. I've tried multiple rolls at various lenghts and nothing. The film advance area appears to be OK. It's as if the film isn't catching the winder. I'm not near a Nikon dealer so I'd like to fix it myself if possible. Any suggestions?

First thing is to replace the batteries with new ones. You might want to leave any batteries out of the camera for a few minutes - sometimes this is a miraculous cure too, it fixed a problem I had once.

Outside of that, you'll probably have to contact Nikon's service department at 1-800-NIKON-US. Here's a link to that page on their website: http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...to=inc_service

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Lightbulb

WELL.

i've seen this 100's of times, but too many reasons to list here.

make sure your film is flat(no slack) to the back and only enough film is fed into the take up.... too much is worse than not enough! btw... no need for a nikon dealer with a camera problem! a good lab can assess the problem in 1 minute

ok here is how you check to see if the winder is really functioning...

open the back of the camera(n50- f5 all have same latch)

now on the left side were the door latch catches you will see the slot the latch fits in

on the bottom half you will see the release you need to hit(bic pen cap works.. long part for hooking on your pad) SEE IMAGE(which is a fast crude image/edit)

once this is released(latch on side springs to closed door position) all you need to do is place any roll in the camera as usual(no need to feed across, but in proper is a must) and hold the roll firmly in place(contacts on roll and camera must touch eachother). the take up winder SHOULD start to spin.

once the camera thinks it loaded the roll it stops...... release door latch and push button again.. repeat process until you know whether the winder is or isn't functioning properly

I HAVE DONE THIS TO MY F100 and 100's of other cameras with NO DAMAGE EVER!!!!!!!

check the roll/rolls you've tried to load.. are the sprocket holes damaged?

sounds to me like the camera does need cleaning or repair if the camera doesn't recognize the film leader still being out apon rewinding ;(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emergency!  N80 not loading film-latch-release.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    yes , new bat trees are the mystery cure to alot of camera problems
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

yashica

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    yes , new bat trees are the mystery cure to alot of camera problems
    hi,
    i have the same problem as your's. i was browsing the net for a solution and came across this site. mine is a yashica zoomate 165 EF. it had been working well for the past 2 years until today when i tried to load a film roll. it just doesnt seem to take it. i went to a camera store and they tried loading with different film rolls but still didnt work. i was told that it would cost around 125 bucks for repair which is half the original price itself. the lcd shows other dispalys such as date, flash etc. so doesnt it mean that the batteries are working or should i try a different one. i would be grateful if any one can help me check if the roller is working in this kind of model.
    thanx

Quote Originally Posted by remya
    hi,
    i have the same problem as your's. i was browsing the net for a solution and came across this site. mine is a yashica zoomate 165 EF. it had been working well for the past 2 years until today when i tried to load a film roll. it just doesnt seem to take it. i went to a camera store and they tried loading with different film rolls but still didnt work. i was told that it would cost around 125 bucks for repair which is half the original price itself. the lcd shows other dispalys such as date, flash etc. so doesnt it mean that the batteries are working or should i try a different one. i would be grateful if any one can help me check if the roller is working in this kind of model.
    thanx
    Have you tried just taking the batteries out for 10 minutes, then putting in new ones? That fixes alot more problems than you might think! Auto loading cameras can be touchy, make sure that the length of the leader of film is right.

Thread Information