Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

C8080 settings for "smooth" waterfall photos

Hi - I'm hoping to find someone that uses an Olympus C8080 so they can give me setting adjustments for taking smooth waterfall photos. I believe shutter speed and the ISO need to be changed?

Thanks in advance...

trigger happy geriatric.

Re: C8080 settings for "smooth" waterfall photos

You need to be in manual exposure mode and slower shutter settings , so a tripod would be desireable. The speed you select will depend on the speed of the water and the amount of blurr you want. I'd probably start at 1/30th and go slower if required.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave...

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

It depends on how far the water is traveling in relation to your viewfinder - i.e. how close you are to the water.

For example, if you shoot the Niagara Falls from across the border, you can still freeze most of the water even as slow as 1/60s. But shoot a small 3' stream-fall from 6' away and you'll get a completely different result.

Use whatever shutter speed will give you the desired results (I've had to use speeds in the 2~8 second range) at the desired aperture. Those two factors will DICTATE what ISO you will need.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

So how much time would you say it takes for you to get the camera at the proper settings in order to take these types of photos?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Depends on how familiar you are with your camera.
    Should only take a few seconds but if you have a particular location in mind I would do several shots with varying times to see which effect you like the most. You'll also have to adjust the aperture and maybe iso to match the times you want.
    Don't forget that a tripod or stabilizing method will be necessary for these slow shutters.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

a nd filter also helps if the light is too bright to achieve the desired shutter speed.
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5
    Canon Lens EF 50mm f1.8
    Promaster FTD 6500M
    Canon Speedlite 420ex
    Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II

trigger happy geriatric.

Quote Originally Posted by McClusky
    So how much time would you say it takes for you to get the camera at the proper settings in order to take these types of photos?

Well, really, it doesn't matter how much time it makes. If it makes you stop and think about the end result before you take the shot and subsequntly end up with an image that satisfies you, it is time well spent. For me, one of the problems with digital is the taking of zillions of shots because they are available instantly, and then deleting them because they weren't quite what you wanted.

Compare that with the likes of a film photographer who will take the time to get what he wants as much as possible in camera because each shot cost money. It's a bit like treating the subject with no respect.

Dave

Thanks for the information everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave6223
    Compare that with the likes of a film photographer who will take the time to get what he wants as much as possible in camera because each shot cost money.
    I've known plenty of "film photographers" over the years that didn't fit that mold too.

Top notch photographers will care, regardless of the medium.

See my website HERE.

trigger happy geriatric.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    I've known plenty of "film photographers" over the years that didn't fit that mold too.

Top notch photographers will care, regardless of the medium.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, the "norm" goes against your statement.

Be honest, plenty of people buy digitals, pro spec digitals at that, in the expectation that they will become David Bailey in the blink of an eye.

Well, really, it doesn't matter how much time it makes. If it makes you stop and think about the end result before you take the shot and subsequntly end up with an image that satisfies you, it is time well spent. For me, one of the problems with digital is the taking of zillions of shots because they are available instantly, and then deleting them because they weren't quite what you wanted.

Compare that with the likes of a film photographer who will take the time to get what he wants as much as possible in camera because each shot cost money. It's a bit like treating the subject with no respect.

Dave
    Any photographer that is any good at all will take their time to get the shot correct as can be had, and the reason is not MONEY or Cost!

It is not the camera it's the operator of the camera with makes all the difference in the image quality, as if it was the equipment only the rich with the costly camera and glass would win the prizes!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

trigger happy geriatric.

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    Any photographer that is any good at all will take their time to get the shot correct as can be had, and the reason is not MONEY or Cost!

It is not the camera it's the operator of the camera with makes all the difference in the image quality, as if it was the equipment only the rich with the costly camera and glass would win the prizes!
    You know that, I know that.

And that's why we get so many posts- "I just bought this (insert a brand) camera. Let me get this right, a wider aperture makes lighter photographs- right?"

Or "I just bought this (insert brand) camera, and I get blank pictures, what could be wrong?"

I have never been a wealthy man, I have been a keen photographer for years. Believe me - taking pictures on 120 roll film makes you sit and think BEFORE you press the shutter. Especially when you don't have the cash to take 24 exposures.

But if you have the money to buy the latest Nikon or Canon, because people know the pro's use them - don't get me wrong, i respect the brands, this isn't a swipe- and you don't know how to use them, then you are going to be disappointed.

I'm a keen shooting man. I buy the best rifles and scopes I can afford. Yet people look at an 8-32 target scope I have and tell me it's not fair, I can't miss with that glass on top.

Oh, really?

Dave

You know that, I know that.

And that's why we get so many posts- "I just bought this (insert a brand) camera. Let me get this right, a wider aperture makes lighter photographs- right?"

Or "I just bought this (insert brand) camera, and I get blank pictures, what could be wrong?"

I have never been a wealthy man, I have been a keen photographer for years. Believe me - taking pictures on 120 roll film makes you sit and think BEFORE you press the shutter. Especially when you don't have the cash to take 24 exposures.

But if you have the money to buy the latest Nikon or Canon, because people know the pro's use them - don't get me wrong, i respect the brands, this isn't a swipe- and you don't know how to use them, then you are going to be disappointed.

I'm a keen shooting man. I buy the best rifles and scopes I can afford. Yet people look at an 8-32 target scope I have and tell me it's not fair, I can't miss with that glass on top.

Oh, really?

Dave
    The ones I find amazing are the, "I shot 3 weddings this last weekend and have three more this coming weekend. Can someone tell me why all my shots are blurry with my xxxx? They want these last photos before I can get paid, so I don't have time to read the manual." - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

trigger happy geriatric.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    The ones I find amazing are the, "I shot 3 weddings this last weekend and have three more this coming weekend. Can someone tell me why all my shots are blurry with my xxxx? They want these last photos before I can get paid, so I don't have time to read the manual." - TF
    Exactly OC. We answer these points based on most of us having SOME experience. I spent years understanding my 35mm and medium format stuff, so I knew about depth of field, fill in flash, trying to see photographically. And I do mean years. OK, some people might be ble to learn faster than me - great.

But at least I'd expect them to RTFM, read the flipping manual, first.

Dave

I'm sure that when technology first allowed cameras to have Av, Tv, and P settings (early 80's I believe), the match-needle shooters were grumbling the exact same things.

Technology makes life more convenient. But photography still requires more than that.

Anyone can buy a pencil. But very few people can draw well.

Everyone has the same basic ingredients in their kitchen. Not everyone are good cooks and bakers.

But some aspects of photography really are tech-heavy and I don't fall into the "it's always the operator and never the equipment" crowd. It takes both a good eye and good equipment to take full advantage of a situation. Some people start with one and achieve the other.

See my website HERE.

For me, one of the problems with digital is the taking of zillions of shots because they are available instantly, and then deleting them because they weren't quite what you wanted...
    And adjust in order to get to what they're after.

Sure it's your problem. For other it's a faster way to learn and probably get the results they want.

Things have changed, and the ways people do things also change.

Perhaps you're too old?

Oh, I shot films, too...110, 135 and 120... in case you're wondering. I know, I know, no 4x5, 8x10...my bad :cryin: :mad2:

No, shooting films don't make you a better photographer. It just makes you wait longer.

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Oh, I shot films, too...110, 135 and 120... in case you're wondering. I know, I know, no 4x5, 8x10...my bad :cryin: :mad2:

No, shooting films don't make you a better photographer. It just makes you wait longer.
    If I didn't know any better, I could have written exactly those words. Especially the last part

Sorry, McClusky, for taking your thread off-topic of sorts.

See my website HERE.

Thread Information