Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Black corners on nikon d40 with 55-200mm vr lens

I am getting pictures with black bars in the corners. It seems to be related to the lens I am using, but I could be wrong. When shooting with another lens, the problem does not surface. Because of this, I do not think it is a sensor problem, but I could be mistaken. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

p.s.- sorry about the massive image. I figured it would more readily highlight the issue.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Black corners on nikon d40 with 55-200mm vr lens

Welcome to the Forum. Are you running any type of framing action on your images using post processing software? I have never seen an image come out of a camera like this. It appears that it could be an affect applied in post processing the image.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I see that it has been through GIMP; does it look this way when just rendered by the Nikon software? - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

NSSA/AIPS

I used GIMP on a mac, and while that's hardly definitive, I don't get that effect on my corners.
    I looks like the image circle isn't completely filling the sensor to my eye, and hence is technically cause a vignette.
    It's not about the camera....

It looks to me like your photo program is pulling in the corners of the picture in, revealing a black background. I don't think it is adding the black lines but is changing the picture to reveal the black background beneath. It is similar to when a photo is straightened and has a tapered area revealed at the edge. Maybe something in the program is set to compensate for a barrel effect and this is the result. If you do not crop after making the adjustment it will look like this, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

n8

You mentioned it potentially being due to the lens...what lens are you using?
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by n8
    You mentioned it potentially being due to the lens...what lens are you using?
    He is using the one in the subject line, Nikon 55-200VR, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you everyone! You all had very insightful responses.

I downloaded the Nikon NEF Codec so I could view the affected photographs within Window's photo viewer. They look perfectly ok!

I have been using UFraw to view my images (and then export to GIMP). Perhaps that is what is causing the problem? The app must not like something about the 55-200mm.

It's probably time to bite the bullet and grab something other than Gimp to use for processing. Any suggestions so I can avoid these issues in the future?

Again, thanks to all. I got so busy looking at my hardware that I didn't even think about the GIMP plug-in.

n8

Whoops, didn't even see that the lens was named already. I had that lens on my d40 for a while... never had any issues, but I haven't used gimp much. It wouldn't make sense that the lens would be an issue once the image hits the computer.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Thread Information