Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Best way to correct exposure

should I do It by adjusting aperture or with th EV dial???? What's the difference? I would also like to ad that I really app all the advice that I am getting on this site....seems like a good group of people unlike some other forums I am a member of!

Re: Best way to correct exposure

I usually use exposure compensation (EV dial). I usually shoot in AV or M in M of course there is no EC you just put in what you need. Your question again depends on the situation:

Do you need a smaller aperture to assure the entire photo gives the illusion of being in sharp focus, or do you need a fast shutter speed to stop the motion of a scene, or do you need a combination of both, or do you need a slow shutter speed to blur the motion....

So neither is best, neither is right, neither is wrong.

You are right this is definitely the friendliest photography forum I have been involved with. People here are quick with advice, and there is very little of the usually name calling and general lack of respect that you find on other forums.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

A few bits of information are needed. First posting a picture or two would be very helpful. Asking how to correct exposure and not telling us or showing us what the problem is will not get you very helpful answers. Also letting us know what you are trying to accomplish as an end result will help.Telling us what equipment you will be using to accomplish this will be helpful also. So please help us help you and give us more information, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I guess what I'm asking is are they the same effect? I'm shooting a d90 w bigma 150-500mm. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by danny wdr
    I guess what I'm asking is are they the same effect? I'm shooting a d90 w bigma 150-500mm. Thanks for the reply.
    If you close down the aperture or decrease the shutter speed by one stop, either will cut the amount of light in half. The difference will be in motion blur, depth of focus, etc. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

To me the question you are asking is very vague. Asking the best way to get correct exposure is about a vague as asking how do I take better pictures. I have a D90 and the light meter works does a good job getting the exposure correct but sometimes you have to choose Matrix, center weighted or spot to help the camera get it right. As far as the setting to get the correct exposure, if the shot is say F8 at 1/500 with ISO 400 it would be the same for any lens. In my opinion you need to post a picture and ask more specific questions. Also with that lens you need to be using a tri-pod, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

drg

Quote Originally Posted by danny wdr
    Your title may be a bit confusing but I believe your question is simple enough to answer if I am reading that you are asking about 'adjusting or setting' exposure as opposed to obtaining the 'correct or best' exposure.

Where the EV dial comes in handy is most often when you are using one of the advanced AF modes like area and you don't want to shift the aperture in an unecessary way. It makes a difference in manual or shutter priority with an electronic shutter that can be set to an intermediate speed that will be recorded in the EXIF file but isn't available via the normal shutter control selection. Aperture (A-mode) again may be a slightly different because the EV dial will bias the metering and set the shutter speed marginally differently. The D90 biases the meter in Manual mode too.

The biggest place where the EV dial comes in to play is when using a Speedlight. That is a whole different topic but it will be different if you are using A-mode with a flash as the flash will be quenched sooner or later with the use of EV settings. The EV wheel adjustments set partial differences that just using the Aperture and Shutter speed setting will not let you fine tune as closely.

Other questions?
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    Your title may be a bit confusing but I believe your question is simple enough to answer if I am reading that you are asking about 'adjusting or setting' exposure as opposed to obtaining the 'correct or best' exposure.

Where the EV dial comes in handy is most often when you are using one of the advanced AF modes like area and you don't want to shift the aperture in an unecessary way. It makes a difference in manual or shutter priority with an electronic shutter that can be set to an intermediate speed that will be recorded in the EXIF file but isn't available via the normal shutter control selection. Aperture (A-mode) again may be a slightly different because the EV dial will bias the metering and set the shutter speed marginally differently. The D90 biases the meter in Manual mode too.

The biggest place where the EV dial comes in to play is when using a Speedlight. That is a whole different topic but it will be different if you are using A-mode with a flash as the flash will be quenched sooner or later with the use of EV settings. The EV wheel adjustments set partial differences that just using the Aperture and Shutter speed setting will not let you fine tune as closely.

Other questions?
    Thanks!!
    I think that sums It up

Thread Information