Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Help With Focusing Terms

hey guys and gals

i need some definitions of the focusing terms please! i cant find anything to answer my questions
    what does these mean?
    AI Servo
    AI one shot
    AI focus

i dont know what they mean and what the differences are
    please help
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Help With Focusing Terms

AI Servo is designed to track moving subjects. Birds in flight, a football player running across the field etc. The focus doesn't "lock" onto one area, it changes as the position of the subject moves. As long as you hold the shutter button half way down, the focus will continue to follow the moving subject.

In the other focus modes the focus will lock onto a static subject, and not change, until you release the shutter button and depress it half way again.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

ok so only use the AI Servo for moving shots
    and the rest for still shots basically?
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Has anyone seen this yet?

Youtube video ID - fbgkxRjO8TU

The music's great (can never not like Fleetwood mac) and the video's pretty slick.. but I'm not too familiar with Embrace's products.

This looks like a nice enough product and the price is very competitive for the features they claim. But does anyone have more detail on these guys? Anyone used their other products or have a review on this one?

Thread Information