• 04-20-2004, 07:31 PM
    moschika
    banding after editing on scans problem
    i'm a bit confused as to what's happening when i scan a slide. can anyone explain what's happening and how i can fix it?

here's what's happening. I take a full scan of a slide at either 2700dpi or 3600dpi, doesn't seem to matter. this scanner doesn't have ICE or anything like that. after i get the scan I check it over and don't notice any banding. but after i trim the dark border around the edges, i notice the images is banded.

why would the image change like that? is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? it's very frustrating. :confused:

thanks.
  • 04-20-2004, 07:31 PM
    Peter_AUS
    moschika,

More info about the scanner, how you are trimming the border, which programs you are using would be of great help.

Yes it is frustrating.
  • 04-20-2004, 07:40 PM
    moschika
    that was fast.
    i'm using a Smartdisk Smartscan 3600. I've had good results in the past, i've also had problems with banding in the past. but my past banding experiences were there from the beginning and quite noticible this is happening after, or so it seems.

i'm importing the image into photoshop 6. i've cropped the borders off with either the crop tool or the rectangular marquee tool and either way I notice the banding after.
  • 04-20-2004, 10:18 PM
    Peter_AUS
    I wonder if the file is getting corrupted during processing on the computer then. That all sounds pretty straight forward, what you are doing. Is there an update for your scanner software. I have found vuescan a pretty good scanning program with quite a few extra features that are good to use prior to saving the file.

How are you saving the file post scanning or are you scanning straight into Photoshop 6. What are you saving the file as ???
  • 04-21-2004, 10:03 AM
    moschika
    i'm scanning straight into photoshop and saving as a TIFF file. it doesn't seem to make a difference if i make changes before or after saving after scanning.

i'm using the scanning software that came with my scanner. I think it's Cyberview #.#

I'm not at home right now to check. How would I go about getting another scanning software that would work with my scanner? are they all compatible?