Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Unhappy underwater housing???

Hey, is there anyone out there that knows everything about buying camera equipment? Or at least knows enough about underwater housing...? It's a long time away I know, but in August, I am going to Cancun and of course underwater housing came up. The thing is though, I'm a little skeptical about them, but I have 3 SLR's and one that I got for a bargin and don't use very often(Minolta maxxum 2xi) so I figured I could get the housing for it and if anything were to leak, I wouldn't be heart broken. Then I started looking at housing because I thought I would need to save, and I couldn't find anything at all for my specific camera, but what i found that was close, ranged in price from $700- $4000...and I'm only 15 so I can't exactly afford that, not even in 5 months, but I'd hate to go to Cancun and miss out on the snorkeling pictures. I know that there are the disposable cameras for underwater that I know I'll probably end up with, but I don't like them because no fish lets you fet at least 3 feet close to it so all you get is blue. Cancun would be a very great blue picture I bet, but a fish in the middle of that would be even better.... so that's my story and I think I dragged it out long enough...so on to the point of my post... Does any one have any suggestions or alternatives for me?

Thanx for those who read that whole long thing, and thanx even more if u replied

~Krysta

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Ewa Mairne gear...

Hi,

You should check out the Ewa marine (http://www.ewa-marine.de/English/e-start.htm) line of underwater camera housings. They're made from soft vinyl with optical quality glass, which makes them much less expensive than the traditional hard plastic types.

Still, they're not cheap. B&H carries them if you want to check out prices...

Quote Originally Posted by rockgurl
    Hey, is there anyone out there that knows everything about buying camera equipment? Or at least knows enough about underwater housing...? It's a long time away I know, but in August, I am going to Cancun and of course underwater housing came up. The thing is though, I'm a little skeptical about them, but I have 3 SLR's and one that I got for a bargin and don't use very often(Minolta maxxum 2xi) so I figured I could get the housing for it and if anything were to leak, I wouldn't be heart broken. Then I started looking at housing because I thought I would need to save, and I couldn't find anything at all for my specific camera, but what i found that was close, ranged in price from $700- $4000...and I'm only 15 so I can't exactly afford that, not even in 5 months, but I'd hate to go to Cancun and miss out on the snorkeling pictures. I know that there are the disposable cameras for underwater that I know I'll probably end up with, but I don't like them because no fish lets you fet at least 3 feet close to it so all you get is blue. Cancun would be a very great blue picture I bet, but a fish in the middle of that would be even better.... so that's my story and I think I dragged it out long enough...so on to the point of my post... Does any one have any suggestions or alternatives for me?

Thanx for those who read that whole long thing, and thanx even more if u replied

~Krysta
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    steve hit the nail on the head! but i do recall seeing a water tight bag that was made for cameras(about 1 gallon sized) somewhere that was like $30? may be too small for your gear? you do understand that most underwater images are taken with wide angle- normal lenses
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information