Backpacking

Printable View

• 04-29-2007, 11:34 AM
    not2shabby
    Backpacking
    I am looking at one of the lower end Canon A series (maybe the 460) to take backpacking. I have used the G3 and was happy but it is a little heavy with weight of pack, etc. Need the alkaline/lithium batteries for extended times on the trail.

One concern is whether I need a wider angle feature for those breathtaking landscape shots. Mostly though my concern is weight and ease of use.

Thanks for any suggestions.
  • 04-30-2007, 12:02 AM
    Medley
    Re: Backpacking
    I've had an A520 since they were first introduced, and it's still going strong. Being able to swap out batteries is definately a plus.

No, it doesn't have the widest angle in the world, but it did come bundled with Canon's photostitch software, allowing me to merge several photos into a panarama with relative ease. There's even a setting on the camera that helps to accomodate this, overlapping the screen with part of the last photo shot- to make lining things up easier.

Just my two cents.

- Joe U.
  • 04-30-2007, 08:06 AM
    another view
    Nikon's Coolpix 8400 would have been a good choice but it has been discontinued. You might find one around at a discount - I think this is the one that went out to about a 24mm equivalent without accessory lenses. I have the old 5000 (not new P5000) and it goes to 28mm but by adding a fairly small adapter lens it goes out to about 20mm.

Nikon's new P5000 only goes out to a 36mm equivalent, and the accessory wide lens is physically much larger. I'm guessing it goes out to a 24mm equivalent based on their numbers, but verify if interested... Nice camera, but that wide angle situation doesn't interest me too much.
  • 04-30-2007, 09:37 AM
    photophorous
    I don't really have an answer to your question...just a few comments. One of the SD series Canon's goes out to a 28mm equivilent, which is a good wide angle. It also has Image Stabalization. Can't remember the model number, but it's one of the higher end ones. A few of the Panasonic's go down to 28 mm also, and one or two of them have a 16:9 ratio sensor.

Also, just a suggestion...you should consider taking a tripod, even if it's one of those miniature ones that you can fasten to a tree with velcro. A cheap lightweight monopod would work well too and it could be a good hiking pole when not in use. Stabalizing your camera in some way will make for much better landscape shots no matter what camera you use.

Paul
  • 04-30-2007, 12:30 PM
    Canuck935
    I'm thinking about picking up Canon's G7 myself. I've been lugging around my SLR's and I've had it. SLR's take up too much space and the weight doesn't help either. For vast landscape shots I just do the stitching that others have already mentioned. A buddy had his G7 on a trip we took last weekend and I just fell in love with it. Fast, easy to use, and most importantly, easy manual control... Now to come up the the $500 for it...
  • 05-01-2007, 09:21 AM
    not2shabby
    Thanks for all your input - haven't bought anything yet. I am one of those people that has to "study" it to death before acting. I appreciate suggestions and will definitely keep them in mind. The BIG TRIP is end of July so I need to make a decision soon so I can get very comfortable with the cam before hitting the wilds.

Will let you know.
  • 05-02-2007, 10:35 AM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabby
    Thanks for all your input - haven't bought anything yet. I am one of those people that has to "study" it to death before acting. I appreciate suggestions and will definitely keep them in mind. The BIG TRIP is end of July so I need to make a decision soon so I can get very comfortable with the cam before hitting the wilds.

Will let you know.

Just remember that there are programs that do a very good job of stitching photos together for panoramas. link: http://www.panoguide.com/products/
  • 05-02-2007, 12:53 PM
    Hickeroar
    The A560 might be an option as well.

You COULD buy a low end film SLR to take and scan the negatives... Option: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099391111123
  • 07-23-2020, 11:27 PM
    brckmrphy
    Canon G7 is good. sensor resolution is 10.0 Megapixel digital zoom is 4x.