Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

B&W photos turn yellow after a day

I am having trouble with my black and white pictures turning yellow a day or so after i print them, does anyone know why this is happening? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangoettel
    I am having trouble with my black and white pictures turning yellow a day or so after i print them, does anyone know why this is happening? thanks
    Did you use fixer? Was it fresh?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

i used fixer, i actually had to stop using old fixer and mix new fixer in the middle of printing, maybe the fixer was too fresh or something because i used it like 5 minutes after mixing it... but that is a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by dangoettel
    i used fixer, i actually had to stop using old fixer and mix new fixer in the middle of printing, maybe the fixer was too fresh or something because i used it like 5 minutes after mixing it... but that is a wild guess
    The fixe can't be "too fresh" it was either mixed incorrectly or used incorrectly. Fixer is what keeps the prints from changing colors, if the prints are changing colors, then there is a problem with the fixer.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Need mucho mas 411...

If your prints look ok in room or daylight after complete processing, and stay that way for a bit, THEN at some point turn yellow, it is definitely due to a lack of proper fixing or complete removal of the fix...

Please let us know in more detail your exact processing steps, and the chemistry, dilutions, and times you are using. I mention this because photo chemistry works in synergy, not seperately. IOW, proper fixing requires a good stop bath before, correct dilultion with two seperate fix baths (with a rinse in between), then hypo clearing agent and a complete wash afterwards...

BTW, there is no such thing as fixer solution that is too fresh...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information