• 05-21-2005, 11:19 AM
    Ultra Magnus
    B&W conversion with channel mixer question
    The question is, what is a good way to do it? I've played with it with varied results, and I don't have a good process down for it. I often resort to converting to grayscale and just adjusting levels. After reading the thread about B&W digital vs B&W film, I felt that it was time to ask. So, what teqhniques do you use to get striking B&W photos?

thanks?
  • 05-21-2005, 11:40 AM
    another view
    Re: B&W conversion with channel mixer question
    I prefer the channel mixer technique, the main thing is to keep the levels adding up to 100%. I usually do this before levels; using levels as a final touch to boost the contrast a little. As far as what numbers to use for the R, G & B channels, it's just experimentation.
  • 05-21-2005, 01:53 PM
    opus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    I prefer the channel mixer technique, the main thing is to keep the levels adding up to 100%. I usually do this before levels; using levels as a final touch to boost the contrast a little. As far as what numbers to use for the R, G & B channels, it's just experimentation.

To add to what Steve said, it really depends on your image as to which channels get what settings. There can't be a single setting to cover all images. It has a lot to do with your color balance.

Here's a link that says what Steve said, but with photo examples.

http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...w_better.shtml
  • 05-23-2005, 09:17 AM
    Ultra Magnus
    Thanks. That link asnwered all my questions. What was especially useful was his note that the slider values should add up to about 100%. I think that's where most of my problems lay. It also answered my questions on how to uses the curves adjustments, which was going to be my next post!