Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Aquarium, quick tips?

I think I know how to shoot an aquarium but, I am going to school at the Georgia Aquarium tomorrow morning EARLY , so any tips? I was going to take, Sony a77, Sony 16-50 2.8 and Sony 11-18mm 4.5. Or would the NEX 7 and the Carl Ziess 24mm 1.8 be a better choice?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Aquarium, quick tips?

Greg,
    I can shoot handheld with the wide angle and f/2.8 on the D300 with no problems,
    or 35mm f1.8 also handheld

both cases at decent ISO for the D300 , so with either a77 or nex7 , you'll be more than fine

if you think you have more people around you the 24mm maybe better, if alone, bring the widest lens

I'm sure you'll manage

Edit: just remembered, the last time I was at the aquarium was with the nex5n and the kit lens, it worked wonderfully

I have used a flexible rubber lens hood up against the glass to cut reflections ans glare. Some window cleaner and paper towels come in handy.

I want to try off cam flash with a foam coozie 'snoot' if they will allow it.

The last trip I used a Minolta 28-85mm f3.5 to 4.5, shutter speed as low as 1/15. Several shots to try to get relatively sharp photos.

Phil

sony a77 !

Thread Information