Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Anyone try one of these???

I was looking around for a more comfortable neck strap so I wouldn't have to go to a chiropractor after my WDW trip and came across this one. I has a lot of reviews and the vast majority give it five stars and say it is the most comfortable neck strap they have ever used. I would not buy it from here because it is through Ace Photo but I put this link in case you want to read some of the reviews. If you have used one or have a favorite that you use let me know how you like the one you use, Jeff

http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-The-I.../dp/B001K2GRYA
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Anyone try one of these???

Let me see if I am understanding this right. 34 people have read this thread and none of you have used this strap and all of you are still using the strap that came with your cameras. You must be happier with the one you have than I am with the one I got with my camera. I just might have to get one and let you know what you are missing, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have a bad neck. Regular straps with anything but a small prime make my head feel like it will pop off. I use a black rapid and another black rapid type strap I made from climbing webbing. I think I prefer the webbing. It is what I use 90% of the time. I will never go back to a conventional strap.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have never used this particular strap, but I have replaced the strap that came with my camera. I didn't realize how uncomfortable the original strap was until I replaced it with a neoprene strap that I got free from SmugMug a couple of years ago. The neoprene strap is soft and stretchy and is MUCH easier on my neck/shoulder. This one looks to be designed a little differently than the one I have, but I'm guessing that it is going to be a lot more comfortable than the one that came with your camera.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Like Mike, I replaced my Canon strap with a neoprene strap I used to use with my Nikon 35mm camera eons ago. I like that it has a little give to it. I just checked and mine is a Tamrac.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

I really appreciate all the input and have checked out each and every reply. It amazes me that I lugged around a heavy Nikon F with a FTN meter on top for around 35 years with a leather strap that was only about a 1/2 inch wide. The strap was made permanently on to the leather case that I carried it in so it never crossed my mind to try and get something more comfortable.

I have been using digital for about the last seven years since retiring and have just recently dawned on me that now I can change my camera strap, "DUH". This is a obvious improvement that I have still been overlooking. It amazes me that when looking at all my friends cameras and people on the street that just about everyone uses the strap that came with the camera. I have friends that have spent tens of thousands of dollars on camera equipment that weigh a ton and have never thought about changing straps to something more comfortable either. I guess we all think that the camera strap is supposed to have the name of the camera on it to be correct.

I think changing my strap, even though it isn't cheap, may add a lot more enjoyment to photo outings for the price than just about anything else. I will be getting one soon and after trying it will come back and give you my opinion of how well it works or not works. This is something that everybody might consider checking out for themselves, Jeff

Jeff, I also use the Black Rapid when lugging around my 7D with the EF 100-400 L for long periods of time. It takes a little getting use to, but it has taken the pressure off my weary neck!
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'm upgrading to Black rapid dual strap for the 1DS and 1D at races.
    But taking the padded OpTech straps just in case.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Its a personal thing, my wife purchased a large padded strap for the Olympus C3030 (it's anything but heavy!!) and I hate it.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks for the replies guys. The more info I have the better the choice I will make. Thanks again, Jeff

n8

I've been using a "quick strap," a black rapid knock-off sling style strap. I did replace the original strap with some stiffer webbing though, as it seemed to twist easily. Like Zero, I don't think I'll ever go back to a conventional neck strap. Using it for my one wedding, I couldn't imagine going that whole time with the 24-70 attached to my camera, but with it at my side, not only could I get around better, the weight was dispersed better. I'd really suggest you look into a sling...and I'd be really curious to see if a $70 Black Rapid is worth the $60 extra dollars over my ebay strap.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by n8 View Post
    I've been using a "quick strap," a black rapid knock-off sling style strap. I did replace the original strap with some stiffer webbing though, as it seemed to twist easily. Like Zero, I don't think I'll ever go back to a conventional neck strap. Using it for my one wedding, I couldn't imagine going that whole time with the 24-70 attached to my camera, but with it at my side, not only could I get around better, the weight was dispersed better. I'd really suggest you look into a sling...and I'd be really curious to see if a $70 Black Rapid is worth the $60 extra dollars over my ebay strap.
    I am looking for a more comfortable camera strap than the standard one that came with my camera. I have looked around and think I might get this one. Instead of having all that weight hanging around my neck it will be on my shoulder and will be a lot less painful to carry. The first link below is a video about the strap or sling and the second is the reviews on Amazon. Take a look and see what you think, Jeff

Video
    ‪CarrySpeed CS1 Mark II‬‏ - YouTube

Reviews from Amazon
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Black Color Carry Speed Cs-1 MK II Sling Strap Rapid for Dslr

I use a Tamrac N45 Brown Leather Padded QuickRelease Camera Strap. Mine came with pockets on each side, to hold extra memory cards. So far I like it, but haven't worn it for a long period of time yet, so it remains to be seen how I like it then.
    Gripped Nikon D7000~Nikkor 18-105mm~Tamron 70-300mm VC~Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro~SB-900~Ring Light

No strap ...other what one that goes round my wrist ...I prefer to carry mine in one hand

For longer I use a slingshot (100) , best camera bag I've ever had

Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW Review

You can swing it under the armpit to your front of chest while walking and get the camera right out without having to take it off ...that and a photo vest covers all my needs
    No need to open it all the way ..the dual end zip just lets you open the side .... camera and a few lens's and that's it .....

Thinking about getting the 300 as well...... as a small day bag too, if I'm out all day so there's room for a drink and sarnies

heh ...I've got very fast in getting the camera out .... and putting it back in ..if it feels a bit iffy if I'm a bit off the beaten track

n8

I had one of those a while back, but it got small real quick. It came in handy for hiking and things of the sort...but then I didn't have room for what I needed to hike with. So, I now use the same bag I use for "moderate need" trips, i.e. a body and a few lenses, but I use these nice little straps that tamrac makes for attaching cameras to the d-rings on backpack straps. Between my camelback and my camera bag, I've got quick access, and all I need when I need when I'm moving a lot.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Sorry haven't been lurking much here. Grandpaw check these straps out. I never have used any of the straps that came with my cameras. All of my DSLRs have there own strap, and I can use the same connectors with my dual harness.
    OP/TECH USA Pro Strap and Pro Loop Strap
    OP/TECH USA Dual Harness
    Jimmy B

I really appreciate all the additional replies and ideas! What I was looking for was a strap that would go over my shoulder and across my body to let me carry my camera at my side and have quick an easy access for taking pictures. I ruled out the bag do to the fact I want to have the security of always having a strap on my camera that was attached to me in case it slipped out of my hand. I also ruled out the straps with the quick release connectors that could be accidentally be pushed and drop my camera. I like the one that I purchased but wished the 2 1/2 wide pad section was a little narrower because it pulls against the side of my neck when on my left shoulder. This may be do to me being as big as I am and the sling strap hanging down at more of an angle across my body. I am hoping to get a chance to go out and shoot soon where I can really give it some time to see how it works while actually using it for a few hours, Jeff

NSSA/AIPS

I just switched to a Camera Slingers dual harness. Nearly identical to he Black Rapid System. Unsnaps in the rear to make two single straps. Only dislike is that the snaps that connect your gear are not locking. They're also really large and clunky. Sorta silly to me really. More so because I work off a motor cycle and having close to 10k in gear slung over your shoulders with out locking attachment is scary. A small strip of gaffers tape solved the issue, but locking connectors would be a better solution. had I known this small detail I would have gone Black Rapid instead. It has locking connections.
    It's not about the camera....

I just purchased a Carry Speed and love it. I do not have to disconnect the strap to mount my camera on a tripod if I need to.

David

Thanks Chris and David for posting a reply to my thread. I still haven't been able to go out for several hours to see how this will work for me. The shoulder pad is the standard 2 1/2 inches wide that most all of them use. I think it would work better for me if it wasn't as wide, Jeff

Thread Information