Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Advice on Image Storage Options

I am needing to back up a lot of image files and am considering a portable hard drive that would be convenient to use with my laptop in the field, as well as with my desktop computer when I am home. Lately I am making more time for photography and am thinking that 500 GB would be the smallest hard drive to consider, based on the number and size of files I already need to backup, plus have room for photos for at least the near future. Whichever product I buy, I will ultimately purchase two of them so I have second backup in case one unit fails. I'd like to know if any particular brand/model is working well for folks, and at the same time want to steer clear of problematic devices, so I am very interested in your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Ken
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Talking Re: Advice on Image Storage Options

Ken, I am not sure where Roundup is in MT and what stores you might have access to (my ignorance), but here in Western Canada, Best Buy had 1Tb drives on sale for about $100 (Cdn) a couple of weeks ago. If I were you, providing you are not in a hurry, I would shop around a bit and watch for sales. Any of the brand names such as Seagate, Verbatim, Hitachi, Western Digital and others should do the job. They also had 2Tb drives on sale for a little under $200 (Cdn). I cannot remember the brands, because the advert paper has long since been recycled. :thumbsup:

I just noticed that in todays sales paper, Staples had Seagate 500 GB external portable HDs for $89.99 (Cdn) and they had Western Digital 1 TB drives for $129.99 (Cdn) with the 500GB model being $30 less - both external drives. Not sure what the exchange rate would be on the $US vs. $Cdn these days, but I understand they are getting closer, so a trip to your local Staples and/or its competition might prove useful - don't know about Costco, because they do not advertise a lot, but if you have one close then I would definitely check it out as well. :idea:

I don't own any of the above, I have an Acomdata 250GB external that I use for backing up my images as well as my personal files. I have had it for about a year now and it works quite well and I have had no problems at all with it. The brand names mentioned above should also give good service and I believe the manufacturer stands behind all of them, but nevertheless, I would check warrantees etc., when you look at the different models and brands. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Re: Advice on Image Storage Options

I purchased a Seagate 1TB internal HD, then purchased an external case. I had this setup for a little over a year and it's working great. I have my pictures on my computer and on the external HD, I also have my cd collection on the external HD.

As WesternGuy mentioned, take a look thru local sales papers to get an ideal for prices, then you can shop on-line to see about better deals. Seagate, Western Digital always come up near the top if not the top two. Newegg is a great place to deal with and read the comments the people left. Dealnews is also a nice place to check daily, they will let you know who's got a good deal and how much from the next lowest price. Remember to always check out the on-line store if you go this route, if the deal is too good to pass up take a second look cause they just might not be a good place to deal with.

James

fwiw, i have had good luck with Lacie and their external HDDs.
    newegg.com would be the place to buy this stuff from. great reputation and customer service
    Canon XSi, Canon 18-55mm IS, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

I use a Portable HD 1Tb USB2 It's called the ROCK. I believe it made by Seagate. I paid $129.00 US. So far it has preformed perfectly.

hth
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

The thing with backups is you really need more than one. (and having multiple backups has save my bacon more than once)

Before I started shooting RAW, CD's worked 1 to 3 CDs a year. Now depending on events it's between 3 and 8 DVD's a year, and the backups are photo's only, and I'm also using a portable USB hard drive for backup also.

If you wish to project from fire loss you will have to have a of site backup also.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks for all your input on this topic. Since shooting raw + jpeg, I am amassing much more storage than I have the patience to put on CD's, and I've had enough computer hard drive crash experiences to know that I need some alternative back up form. I will do a little shopping around for a portable external drive and give it a whirl. I had kicked around an online back up option, but I am at the far end of our rural DSL service, so my connect speed is slow enough to make an online backup a pretty painful experience.

Thanks again for the help!
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

I use the NewerTech Guardian Maximus. I like the redundant drives. I've been told that is not a solution alone, that some form of off site storage is in order. For me I am happy to get them to a solution with redundant drives away from my computer.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

I figured out a while ago that DVD's cost 3 times more than external hard drives plus they are more fragile and don't last as long. I've switched over to LACIE and WESTERN DIGITAL hard drives.

I keep a copy of my image library online (800x600 pixels just for viewing). My main image library is actually offline on external hard drives I keep a backup of each external hard drive on another external hard drive stored 5 floors below in the cellar.

I use PARAGON software to do incremental backups from one hard drive to another. I also use PARAGON to do a clone image of my system disk to a couple of external hard drives which I alternate.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information