Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

adobeRGB1998 labs- ?

questions-
    1- what are some of the labs [and their websites] that will print 8-10mb jpeg photo files burned on cd-r"s that are in adobeRGB 1998 color space?
    2- are their credible [quality print labs] that will print them for 29 cents [or less] for a 4x6 print?
    3- will a photo file having a color space of adobeRGB 1998 be any more outstanding in appearance [at 4x6 print size] compared to converting it to a sRGB color space and having a 4x6 printed? if you compared the two side by side would one stand out above the other?
    4- is it a "no-no" to send a abobeRGB 1998 photo file to a printer [and have it developed] that does their printing in sRGB? could that result in a "less desirable" 4x6 as compared to converting that photo file to the printers sRGB prior to print?
    5- thank you, merry christmas-

tramp

Re: adobeRGB1998 labs- ?

I haven't an answer for you Tramp, but there must be some of our knowledgable members that can help you out. Since it was posted near Christmas, it may have been over looked.

Anyone have some tips for our friend Tramp?
    Lara

Re: adobeRGB1998 labs- ?

I can't answer all of your questions but I'll try a couple of them. I use sRGB exclusively since that's what most places (at least the ones I've used) are set up for. You'd probably have to go to a custom lab to find someone who knows what Adobe RGB is, and it will likely cost more. Probably the best way to use Adobe RGB is to use your own printer - that way you have control of the complete process.

You could try to print an Adobe RGB file on a system set up for sRGB and the results might be OK. Key word here is "might"; these are two different color spaces so you won't know what you'll get until you have the print in your hands (or switch it in Photoshop). My guess is that some situations will be fine and some will have a more noticable change.

Is there a specific reason you're using Adobe RGB? I've been using sRGB for everything and had great results. I don't own a printer and all of the places I've used are setup for sRGB. This includes a grocery store with a Fuji Frontier, a camera store lab and a local custom lab. I'm going to try mpix.com soon, and they also use sRGB. Best to use a calibrated monitor regardless of color space though - the differences that might show up due to an uncalibrated monitor could be greater than the difference between Adobe RGB and sRGB.

Thread Information