Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    enlarger

Question rear curtain on digicams?

is the rear curtain flash feature available on any point 'n shoot digicams or is that strictly a higher-end/SLR option?

would be cool to have available for action shots, while I'm out actioning

thanks
    HW

Re: rear curtain on digicams?

Nice to see you on this site, partner.

Not sure how available second-curtain sync is on compact cameras. I know for sure that you can get it on the Canon G3-G6. It wasn't on my G2 and that was frustrating for me. I would look for it on cameras that have flash hotshoes. I don't expect manufacturers would bother including that feature on cameras that only have built-in flashes.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I didn't think that any compact digital cameras had rear sync - those are probably the only ones out there. However, you can do slow sync or front sync with any camera that you can put on manual exposure. Just measure the ambient light and set the flash to fire. In some cases the effect will look the same, but if the subject moves in a line (like an action shot of a bike) the flash image will be in the opposite place as rear sync.

Mountain Bike Photos

Hollyweird drifted over here from the mountain bike site. At least, I think he did. So I think he's looking for real second-curtain sync.

I betcha that there are more cameras than just the Canon's, though. I expect the high-end Nikon and Olympus compacts have it, too.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

enlarger

Re: drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Hollyweird drifted over here from the mountain bike site. At least, I think he did. So I think he's looking for real second-curtain sync.

I betcha that there are more cameras than just the Canon's, though. I expect the high-end Nikon and Olympus compacts have it, too.
    I burned all my bridges on MTBR.com, so now looking to make some new friends ;) PM me!

I have a Nikon CoolPix 4300 and just scored the skinny Sony DTS-T1 for an early Festivus gift. The large screen is rad, but I like the rear curtain for the blurred-then-frozen cyclist shots. Whoosh! Was hoping to find something compact for riding that still had some bells & whistles.

your favorite new member,
    HW

Ahh... Any friend of John's is - uh - well, welcome anyway!

Rear sync would be what you would need, and there isn't a good way to do it manually. My Coolpix 5000 doesn't do it - at the time it came out it was top of the line too. Funny how prices work on those things, I bought it for about half the initial cost less than two years later.

The Panasonic Lumix FZ20 has a slow sinc option. It does an ambient light exposure and then pops the flash. The other Lumixes may also have it.

enlarger

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    The Panasonic Lumix FZ20 has a slow sinc option. It does an ambient light exposure and then pops the flash. The other Lumixes may also have it.
    thanks for the info.....also looking into the Canons.

Re: thanks

The Canon PowerShot Pro 1 has this feature. Not sure what to use it for though. Anyone got examples of 1st 2nd curtain flash?
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: thanks

Minolta A1 and A2 both have rear sync
    I think the new A200 does as well
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information