Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: SLR Choices

SLR Choices

I am new to photography and am looking for advice between three different cameras. The three I am looking at are the Caonon EOS Rebel Ti, Pentax *ist, and the Minolta Maxxum 5. Without having previous experience I am not sure what features are really necassary. Does the number of focus zones really make a huge difference (*ist = 11, Ti and Maxxum 5 = 7)? I just need some expert opinions.

Just My Opinion

First of all, I am not an expert. I do, however, have a comment. In my case, I bought a Nikon N50. Then I decided I needed to upgrade to a Nikon N65. Then I moved on up to a Nikon N80. My point is this: I would have saved a lot of money if I had gone ahead and bought the camera I really wanted in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by smilin_irishman
    I am new to photography and am looking for advice between three different cameras. The three I am looking at are the Caonon EOS Rebel Ti, Pentax *ist, and the Minolta Maxxum 5. Without having previous experience I am not sure what features are really necassary. Does the number of focus zones really make a huge difference (*ist = 11, Ti and Maxxum 5 = 7)? I just need some expert opinions.
    I'd suggest going with the Canon, for the simple reason that if you get quite serious about your photography, you'll want to upgrade, and its easiest with the Canon (or Nikon). Whether you want to buy used gear, or sell gear, it holds its value pretty well. Plus the lenses are the best around, if you get really serious that is!
    I started with Minolta Maxxums when I was learning. But less than 2 years later, I sold them (after a hard time trying to get rid of them) and went to Canon. Less than 2 years after going to Canon I turned pro, so it can take over your life!!!!

Ditto. I'd go with either Cannon or Nikon, based on the depth of their accessory line, and I'd suggest going with a higher-end consumer model.

--Jeff

Camera Addict
    I just bought the Rebel Ti, and I love it. I've been told that for a beginner, the Nikons are very complicated and hard to learn how to use, which is why I went with the Canon.

Liz

Talking My experience

is only with Canon - simply because I've always been happy with the equipment. I have a Rebel 2000 and it is an excellent camera.....the Ti is an upgrade to the Rebel. IMO, you can't go wrong.

BTW, not knowing much about other brands, but isn't the "Pentax *ist" a digital?

Liz

Send $$$ For Film and Processing h2oskierc's Avatar
    I am currently using a Rebel Ti, and I love it. It is a great camera, and I am happy that I started with it. I love Canon's cameras, and after having it for about 9 months, I am thinking that I am going to upgrade in April when the Elan 7NE comes out. It is basically one step above the Ti, and will do a few more advanced things that I don't need to do, but would like to. You can download the user's manual before you buy, if you would like to see how it operates. Check out Canon's website as well http://www.canoneos.com/, then click on Rebel Ti and download manual.

As for the focus points, I have never been in a case were only having 7 was a bad thing. In fact, my dad has an older EOS professional-grade SLR that has only 5, and I am sure the earlier ones had less. The camera is set up so that the user can "focus lock" on their subject and re-compose (aim) the picture. While it may be in-convenient, it is a possible solution.

If you are extremely new to photography, I have found a couple books that were helpful to me. The National Geographic Photography Field Guide is a nice book, and is full of color photos. It does undercover some issues, but is an excellent starter. I also enjoyed a book by Tom and Michele Grimm worth the investment, although the title escapes me.

Sorry if I spewed too much at you there, if you have any questions about the camera, you can e-mail me at h2oskierc@covad.net, and I will try to answer them.
    Chris

When I grow up I want to be a Photographer.

No more money left for film
    Will work for Canon DSLR Body...

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    BTW, not knowing much about other brands, but isn't the "Pentax *ist" a digital?

Liz
    FWIW, the *ist is a film camera, the Digital *ist is the one you've seen here.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information