Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Liz

G3 White glow pics..Sebastian....anyone..

Here are 3 images that Lisa shot with the G3. As I said, all images that were shot on bright or sunny days have this glow effect. On the image of the boy, it is easier to see that it is definitely the white (ice-cream) that makes the effect. The rest of the pic to the left and right aren't affected.

All images on this card with white are like this. They look worse here than on LCD screen.
    I can't imagine what this is. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated as they are leaving Friday for Maine (with camera?)

The other G3 that I used never had a problem like this. It would get great results of blue skies, and sharp portraits even in bright sun.

Thanks
    Liz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G3 White glow pics..Sebastian....anyone..-2291editint.jpg   G3 White glow pics..Sebastian....anyone..-2262editint.jpg   G3 White glow pics..Sebastian....anyone..-2248editint.jpg  

This is NOT what I mentioned before, this is far, far worse. Make sure the lens is completely clean, and if it still happens then it's someting internal. Something like this is cause by either condensation or mildew, or dust on the internal elements. It would have to be an even coating of dust though.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

More thoughts...could be dirty front element. A greasy fingerprint might cause something like this.

Basically, the light is being scattered by something in the optical path, and that's the area that needs to be checked. If nothing can be seen when examining the lens under bright light, then I would suggest sending it in to Canon.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz

Update.....sort of

thanks Sebastian.

There are a few other shots on this card taken with same camera about 5 days later that had no glow - all outside shots, some white shirts on people. So, if in fact the above is true, it may have been condensation and resolved itself.

At any rate Lisa (owner) is going to shoot more pics outside today and let me know what they look like. Keeping fingers crossed.

Liz

It looks like a lens issue, Liz

Thanks for steering me to this thread -- I had no idea that you had already posted these pictures when I posted my thoughts on condensation on the other thread

Looking at them for the first time, it seems to me that it is a lens and not an exposure issue. Either there is moisture on the inside or outside of the lens, or as someone else has mentioned, some kind of substance clouding the lens itself.

That's good news about subsequent pictures on the card looking better. The problem might well have resolved itself.

But it's a good lesson. Digital photography allows us to see each picture as it is made. Make sure your friend gets in the habit of checking photos on the LCD screen, and if she sees a problem like this occur again, she only has to check out the lens to see if there is any condensation or substance on it.

Many newcomers to digital imaging do not fully take advantage of this instant feedback. It's good to get into the habit, not only to check for technical problems, but to improve the content of a picture as well. By acting on the information given us by each image, we can greatly strengthen the way we approach the next picture.

Phil
    Phil Douglis
    Director, The Douglis Visual Workshops
    Phoenix, Arizona
    pnd1@cox.net

http://www.pbase.com/pnd1

http://www.worldisround.com/home/pnd1/index.html

http://www.funkytraveller.com/Pages/travelogues/travelphotophild.htm

Liz

Thanks Phil.....

I really should have kept it in one thread instead of causing confusion. duh

However, I'm still waiting to hear from Lisa - she is supposed to do more shooting. I'll let everyone know what the outcome is. I'm going there Friday so will have a chance to check it myself.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate you're taking the time to give me the information. You're right about checking. However, many snapshooters just take pictures, and don't want to be bothered with taking care of a camera. Too bad, but that's the way it seems to be.

Liz

Thread Information