Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Power supply problem

I have a Canon Powershot A520 digital camera and recently my AA batteries ran out (they don't last long). So to take a photo I hooked it up to a power supply

The camera says it requires a 3.15 Volt Power supply, but unfortunately the power supply I used was 5 Volts.

I got some new AA batteries but the camera still does not work.

It also has a CR2220 battery - does this need to be replaced for it to work or have I blown up the camera?

Cheers

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Power supply problem

... requires a 3.15 Volt Power supply, ... I used ... 5 Volts
    Oh dear. Probably the internal power regulator in the camera is toasted.
    Usually there's a little toleance, but more then 50% over-voltage I'd expect it to be fried.
    You maybe lucky and it's a cheap repair, but if all the electronics is on one circuit board then it might be expensive

[QUOTE}my AA batteries ran out (they don't last long){/QUOTE}
    It's a bit late now to suggest using NiMH rechargeables because they last longer than off the shelf AA alkaline batteries. Ooops.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Well I bought it around 8 months ago, so should reapirs still be under warranty?

I wouldn't expect a warranty to cover using the wrong power supply.
    Even if you didn't tell them what you'd done, the nature of hte damag may give it away.
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by godonnygo
    I have a Canon Powershot A520 digital camera and recently my AA batteries ran out (they don't last long). So to take a photo I hooked it up to a power supply

The camera says it requires a 3.15 Volt Power supply, but unfortunately the power supply I used was 5 Volts.

I got some new AA batteries but the camera still does not work.

It also has a CR2220 battery - does this need to be replaced for it to work or have I blown up the camera?

Cheers
    If the camera's dead hope that it has a blown surface mounted fuse. The 3V IC's don't like over voltage. It needs to be seen by a Canon Repair Shop. I do not think it will be covered by any warrenty unless you had purchased a thrid party coverage. Unless it's a blown fuse or voltage reg. it just may be time to purchase an new camera.

GRF

Was the power supply the same polarity? Just because it was the same plug doesn't mean it's the same polarity. Most likly you blew the diodes out that regulate the voltage to the internal circuits. This can be expensive, and Canon will know it wasn't their fault, it's easy to tell these things if you know what to look for. There are no fuses, there are thermal devices that blow at a certain temp but no fuses.
    The 5 volts vs 3 volts shouldn't have caused a problem, however if the current was too high that would cause problems, as would the wrong polarity.

When using poer supplies always:
    1: Make sure polarity is the same ie: +( O- and not -( O+ (check the camera and power supply to be certain the symbols are the same)
    2: make sure you have proper voltage power supply
    3: make sure you have the same current (wattage/amperage) requirements
    4: same plug

Even the wrong plug can short the connection out. Your better off using the manufactureres recommended power supply only.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I took it in to the place I purchased it (Harvey Norman) and they said they'll have a look at what's wrong with it.

Getting very technical here, so frey, what is the % chance of it being a "blown fuse or voltage reg"?

FWIW, here is an artists impression of what the power supply I used looks like. (haha, the irony). Hopefully this can determine further what the camera's problem might be.

I took it in to the place I purchased it (Harvey Norman) and they said they'll have a look at what's wrong with it.

Getting very technical here, so frey, what is the % chance of it being a "blown fuse or voltage reg"?

FWIW, here is an artists impression of what the power supply I used looks like. (haha, the irony). Hopefully this can determine further what the camera's problem might be.

Thats a univeral power supply, the plug end has a bunch of adapters which can be pluged in to give you either polarity, and the switch on the box adjusts the voltage. I would never us this type of adapter on any device that requires a regulated supply because this one IS NOT. The open circuit voltages can be much high than the label on the PS.

This power supply is a transformer a diode bridge and capicator, AND NO Voltage regulater. I have seen the no load voltage on these things as high as 9 volts at the 6 volt setting or higher with the higher current rated power supplys. NO good for the camera's electronics.

You said it was set at 5 volts so when it was pluged in the camera got hit with about 7.5 volts from the capicator, and maybe reverse polarity? ........

Hopefully the protection curcuity saved the costly IC's

GRF

Minor detail, it was set at 4.5V when I turned it on (instead of 5)

Still probably blown.
    Because of the off-load characteristics of these cheap PSUs.
    Also the voltage regulation is likely to be hit-and-miss, not liek it has a precise regulator for each voltage. Probably a programmable regulator with different resistors switched in for each voltage. So if the switch is dodgy, then the voltage might not be right.

Over-voltage would result in a lower current (W = IV) but if it's over the voltage the electronics can handle, then it's meltdown time for the silicon.
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Still probably blown.
    Because of the off-load characteristics of these cheap PSUs.
    Also the voltage regulation is likely to be hit-and-miss, not liek it has a precise regulator for each voltage. Probably a programmable regulator with different resistors switched in for each voltage. So if the switch is dodgy, then the voltage might not be right.

Over-voltage would result in a lower current (W = IV) but if it's over the voltage the electronics can handle, then it's meltdown time for the silicon.
    I've had to repair this type of PS, the switch selects different windings from the secondary. AND these are CHEAP.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    I've had to repair this type of PS, the switch selects different windings from the secondary. AND these are CHEAP.
    So I have some conflicting views here..hmmm

So I have some conflicting views here..hmmm
    Well I bet the correct power supply from Canon is between $50 to $100+ dollars US. and the one shown with the voltage selection is under $20 dollars US. In this case you get what you pay for. The Canon PS is a switching regulated at the correct voltage, the other is just a transformer with a unregulated doide cap. output. In short the Canon PS has guts, and the other doesn't. Check out the prices of regulated power supplies at www.digikey.com
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information