Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Smile 20D and ISO 3200

hello everyone, lately I have seen a few post from other people talk about ISO 3200 and I was wonder how come my 20D don't have that. it is an option thing that you can up date to the camera? I would very much appreciated for any help

Re: 20D and ISO 3200

You have to set it through your computer in personal preferences I beleive. Check the manual, it will tell you what you need to do. If thats not it then look for a firmware update, it may be there.

JS

well, I had read the manual and it said something about c.fn-08 ISO expansion and I still don't get it. sorry, can yall tell me more...and the manual said something about the H epuivalent to the ISo 3200. I m so

drg

Quote Originally Posted by JTcooper
    hello everyone, lately I have seen a few post from other people talk about ISO 3200 and I was wonder how come my 20D don't have that. it is an option thing that you can up date to the camera? I would very much appreciated for any help
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Canon Custom Functions and sometime oblique manuals!

First you need to go into the Menu Mode on your camera. Select the Setup Menu (which is the Yellow menu), then scroll down through the list of options until you arrive at Custom functions.

You'll need to set function 8 (ISO expansion) to a value of 1 which enables the camera to then be set to ISO 3200. Then exit out of the menus.

Just be careful you don't toggle an option you don't intend. The manuals do explain about these functions and give examples of how to set custom functions.

Good luck and tell us how you come out! Post some examples of your 3200 ISO efforts. You can virtually shoot by candlelight at this speed!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thumbs up Re: 20D and ISO 3200

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Canon Custom Functions and sometime oblique manuals!

First you need to go into the Menu Mode on your camera. Select the Setup Menu (which is the Yellow menu), then scroll down through the list of options until you arrive at Custom functions.

You'll need to set function 8 (ISO expansion) to a value of 1 which enables the camera to then be set to ISO 3200. Then exit out of the menus.

Just be careful you don't toggle an option you don't intend. The manuals do explain about these functions and give examples of how to set custom functions.

Good luck and tell us how you come out! Post some examples of your 3200 ISO efforts. You can virtually shoot by candlelight at this speed!
    thank you so much for all the help and quick reply though, I will do that tonigh when I m off from work. I was wonder about this for a long time, and did not remember to post. finaly I'm getting somewhere...oh yeah, I will try to post some of my shot if I ever know how, still don't even know how to send my pic through email yet, what ashame...I guess I would need to find a computer book for a dummy like me.

"C fn" is a custom function. Depending on the camera some custom functions and "P fn" Personal functions have to be set up via the computer, or through the menu on the camera. The functions that require the computer use the same cable that comes with the camera and should be available through your software.... welcome to the digital age!

As for posting phootos here, you don't email them. When you post a message, or start a new topic you type your message then before hitting "post reply" scroll down the page farther and you will see "Upload Photos". click on that and pick the photos you want to upload.
    A couple notes on that:
    1: make sure photos are resized to "fit" the file size limits for the site
    2: number of photos is limited to 4 for each message, more than 4? just do a second message

So phootos are easier to view I resize the dimensions to 600 pixels on the longest side. This is easy to do if you have a program such as Photoshop Elements. There are some free programs on the web but most are very limited in what you canb do with them.

Hope this helps ya!

JS

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    "C fn" is a custom function. Depending on the camera some custom functions and "P fn" Personal functions have to be set up via the computer, or through the menu on the camera. The functions that require the computer use the same cable that comes with the camera and should be available through your software.... welcome to the digital age!

As for posting phootos here, you don't email them. When you post a message, or start a new topic you type your message then before hitting "post reply" scroll down the page farther and you will see "Upload Photos". click on that and pick the photos you want to upload.
    A couple notes on that:
    1: make sure photos are resized to "fit" the file size limits for the site
    2: number of photos is limited to 4 for each message, more than 4? just do a second message

So phootos are easier to view I resize the dimensions to 600 pixels on the longest side. This is easy to do if you have a program such as Photoshop Elements. There are some free programs on the web but most are very limited in what you canb do with them.

Hope this helps ya!

JS
    this is just a try to see if I can do this, if this go through it got to be miracle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20D and ISO 3200-picture-003.jpg  

oh boy, I can't tell yall how much I appreciated for all the help I can get. this is realy happenning, now I can, thanks to the nowleged and all the imfor you all gave me. it does give me some positive thinking that I can go do that ISO 3200...high five

Quote Originally Posted by JTcooper
    this is just a try to see if I can do this, if this go through it got to be miracle
    See it works....simple eh?

Nice shot. Not sure how you have your auto focus set but you might want to make sure it's center and not off to the right as the only player who is sharp is on the right. If set center then make sure to follow the the player your focused on to make sure they are nice n sharp. Panning as it is called takes a little practice, and is really difficult with some sports, and especially option football. You have a goos start here. You should check out the sports forum here, there is a lot of good advice and photography!

JS

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    See it works....simple eh?

Nice shot. Not sure how you have your auto focus set but you might want to make sure it's center and not off to the right as the only player who is sharp is on the right. If set center then make sure to follow the the player your focused on to make sure they are nice n sharp. Panning as it is called takes a little practice, and is really difficult with some sports, and especially option football. You have a goos start here. You should check out the sports forum here, there is a lot of good advice and photography!

JS
    thank you so much for your help though, I have to be honest with you about this. cause I had been going under ground lately, what I mean is just get on this website and read all the help and advise yall gave to other folk, it really help me too. yall all wonderfull

Thread Information