Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

2.8 lens takes darker pictures than old 5.6

Hey,

I just purchased a 18-50 f2.8 Sigma for my Pentax and at 50mm and f 5.6 it takes a noticeably darker picture than my 10 year old junky 3.5-5.6 28-80mm

Any Ideas? Is this normal? or maybe a bad lens? oh, Yes the exposure, field of view are the same.
    Last edited by tryall3; 12-13-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: 2.8 lens takes darker pictures than old 5.6

Is the exposure of the images you are comparing the same? Can you post some examples along with the exposure info for both images? I'm guessing that one image is under exposed compared to the other.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Have to be same aperture and shutter speed to compare. iso too
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Yes, Same iso, exposure and same image field.

Sorry guys, yes the iso aperture, shutter, and image filed are the same. How do I post examples?

Hi and welcome - here's a tutorial on how to upload pictures. Keep them around 600 pixels on the long side and you should be fine as far as file size goes.

The new lens has an f2.8 maximum aperture but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's using this aperture. Faster lenses (ones with larger maximum apertures) are usually better because they give you more options, but the aperture that you actually use to take a photo should be determined by light level and creative considerations (depth of field, shutter speed being used, etc). IOW, it isn't always better to shoot at f2.8 than f5.6.

Thread Information