Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

1981 canon TX need some info

well my uncle mark sent me a gift for an early christmas gift. but any way he gave me a lense that comes with it and a really big lense say 7 inches long. but im confused with some of the things on the camera i know the basic stuff like focusing and that but there are 11 different shutter settings such as b,1,2,4,8,15,30,60,125,250,and 500 and im not sure which one does what so can any one help? and how much is this camera worth cause its like mint

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: 1981 canon TX need some info

Quote Originally Posted by chris_13
    well my uncle mark sent me a gift for an early christmas gift. but any way he gave me a lense that comes with it and a really big lense say 7 inches long. but im confused with some of the things on the camera i know the basic stuff like focusing and that but there are 11 different shutter settings such as b,1,2,4,8,15,30,60,125,250,and 500 and im not sure which one does what so can any one help? and how much is this camera worth cause its like mint
    Chris,

Here is a brief answer for ya. 500 = 1/500 of a second, 250 = 1/250 of a second and so on down the line till you get to 1 which would be 1 second. The b stands for bulb. This means that the shutter stays open as long as you hold the shutter release button down. I wouldn't use this unless you have a cable release for it. The faster shutter speeds can be used for stopping action, such as sporting events, or moving objests or anything else you may want to "freeze" in time. The faster the shutter speed, the more likely you are to avoid camera shake caused by hand holding the camera. Mose people can hand hold a camera at 1/60 of a second, or even slower and still not have blury pictures do to camera shake. You will have to experiment to see how slow you can go. The slower the shutter speed, the more depth of field you will get in your shots. Slower shutter speeds are also used in low light situations and you may want to invest in a tripod to avoid camera shake. I don't know anything about the value of the camera but you may want to check ebay to give you an idea of what people are willing to shell out for them. I hope this helps you out. It sounds like you are new to photography, or at least to a manual camera so I would recomend a basic photo book such as The Basic Book of Photography by Tom & Michele Grimm.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!
    Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...html~mainFrame

OK... from this page on the left under "my classic camera collection" clck on MORE

from there pan down the page half way to the canon TX link.

for some reason that page doesn't have a seperate link, but the info will get you started.

the camera is a MATCH NEEDLE metering camera. "get the lolipop in the center and shoot" by stopping down the aperture or changing the shutter speed

So what is the 7" inch lens? 300f5.6 FD or maybe a 80-200 ?

tell us
    Last edited by paulnj; 11-27-2004 at 08:00 AM. Reason: wrong link
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

well the lense im not sure it says on it HOYA 62mm skylight (18) and then just a bunch of numbers and stuff and how much is this camera worth? i saw on ebay a broken one was going for like 250.00 i dont plan on selling cause i want to take some pics of my team playing paintball and stuff along those lines

well the lense im not sure it says on it HOYA 62mm skylight (18) and then just a bunch of numbers and stuff and how much is this camera worth? i saw on ebay a broken one was going for like 250.00 i dont plan on selling cause i want to take some pics of my team playing paintball and stuff along those lines

Chris,

What you are looking at is a Hoya 62mm skylight filter. It is designed to filtere out UV rays without affecting the colors of the pictures you take. It will screw off of the lens, but many people leave them on all the time as a way of protecting the front elemtent of the lens itself. The 62mm is the size filter. You should be able to see more number inside the front rim of the lens that should give you the focal length of the lens along with the f/stop. It may look like the picture below. I have done some looking on ebay and have found them going for a lot less than $250. The mose expensive one I found was $125... I also found some manuals and for the TX on ebay and I would recomend getting one if you don't already have one.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1981 canon TX need some info-tx.jpg  
    Last edited by mjs1973; 11-27-2004 at 11:25 AM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

yea the picture that you attached this camera looks just as new as that one but the inside brim says f = 60 - 800 mm then 1:4.0 - 5.6

yea the picture that you attached this camera looks just as new as that one but the inside brim says f = 60 - 800 mm then 1:4.0 - 5.6

Chris,

My guess is that you are reading the numbers wrong and that it is is 300mm instead of
    800mm. Going on that asumption, you have a telephoto zoom lens. I have included some
    pictures of mine and I labeled the #'s on it so you can see what they are. All of the numbers on mine are the same as what you have stated with the exception of the 800. The 60-300mm is the focal length of the lens and you can adjust it to anything in between just by pushing or pulling the barrel of the lens toward you or away from you. The 4.0-5.6 is the largest aperture opening that the lens has. The smaller the number, the larger the opening, so an apurture value of 4.0 will let more light thru the lens than 5.6. Depending on what focal length you have the lens set to will determine your smallest apurture value. 60mm will be 4.0, and 300mm will be 5.6. The smaller the value, the faster the shutterspeed you will be able to use, and vice versa... There is a ring around
    the base of the lens with number such as 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22 AE. These are your
    aperture setting for the lens. The AE is for cameras that have shutter speed priority mode. I know nothing about the TX so I don't know if it has this feature or not. If it does, it
    means that you can set the lens to AE, and whatever shutter speed you chose, the camera will chose the aperture automaticaly. If not, you will have to take a meter reading with the camera and set the apurture on the lens yourself. As you adjust the shutter speed, the meter will give you a differant aperture value. This lens will allow you to zoom in on the paintball action while keeping you out of the line of fire. You may want to invest in a tripod. The longer the focal lenght, the harder it is to hold steady, and the faster shutter speed you will need to avoid blurry images do to camera shake.

I'm sorry if I'm being to basic and over simplifying this stuff.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1981 canon TX need some info-img_1868.jpg   1981 canon TX need some info-img_1869.jpg   1981 canon TX need some info-img_1870.jpg   1981 canon TX need some info-img_1871.jpg  
    Last edited by mjs1973; 11-27-2004 at 07:02 PM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

yep thats the lense

Thread Information