Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    learning member

1 prob w/ sunpac 383 flash

The biggest concern I have w/ 383 flash is that it is very difficult to unplug a sync cord from the flashes off camera port.
    the first one I bought I tore the jack right out of the flash w/ a paramount brand cord. I bought it from ritz camera and they replaced it. I bought the cord from a pro camera shop and took the new flash and the cord to them, while there a small struggle took place trying to unplug the cord.The cord did come out, but the plastic piece coverong the port on the flash broke off. I paid $110 for the flash at a time when I could barely pay my bills.
    Not one to return things, I just used it on camera. but I pretty much lost interest in photograpy as a hobby i could afford.
    Now I have recently bought a new 383 and the sync cord that came w/it has the same prob.
    Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?
    This is a great flash, but I think this is a fatal flaw.
    Thanks for reading my rant,
    Mark.

Long Timer

Re: 1 prob w/ sunpac 383 flash

Sounds like the plastic hole is a bit tight. I had that problem before and just used a drill bit a tiny bit bigger to enlarge the hole. You can do that by just twisting the drill bit in your fingers since it's just thin plastic. That will only take a few seconds and by hand you don't have to worry about going in to far and causing damage.

learning member

Mike, thanks for the reply, but thats not it. The plastic piece is not the flash. The reason is that i have to pull so hard to get it to come out, that when it does come out! Imagine trying to break in a door w/ your shoulder, and just as your shoulder hits the door, someone opens it very fast!
    I just tried it again very tough. Thinking about filing the head of the pin.
    Mark.

Long Timer

You could do that, but it is plated so if you file off the plating, the metal beneath will rust, plus it's usually hollow so you can't file too much.

If it's the pin that is tight in the jack, maybe it's not the right size. It should be standard, but it might not be. If it's a 1/8" jack, try changing it to a 3/32" one.

Thread Information