Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Minolta x370 - where do I start

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to start? What speed film? What aperture to select? What lighting to watch out for? I am a REMEDIAL beginner here...:mad2:

I have a Toyo Optics UV 55mm lense on it.

I just need somewhere to start.

Are there any good "self study" text books out there?

=)

Re: Minolta x370 - where do I start

Hi Alissa, welcome to PR

A couple of questions for your first... What do you want to shoot for subjects? Will you be shooting black and white or color? Do you typically prefer vivid saturated colors or a more natural look? Honestly, for now, I would just go to your local supermarket/Walmart/drugstore and pick up some regular old Fuji or Kodak 400 speed film. It's cheap, provides good results, and will be good for while you are learning.

For book recommendations, the 3 I would recommend for beginners are:

The Joy Of Photography

The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography - Book 1

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions and I look forward to seeing some shots :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

You are AWESOME.

Of course my son will be the subject - and my four legged child too...

Am I correct in thinking that the speed of the film is matched with the speed of the subject? So, dog running in back yard picture is 800 speed?

I like photos that are unique. I like a crisp image with a fuzzy background. I love sepia tone, but I can just order that in processing, yes? Also - do you suggest a "plant" for developing vs. Walgreens? Is it best to print reprints from the negatives or would having them put to a CD and reprinting be acceptable?

I will go to the library tonight to get the books you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Alissa2008
    You are AWESOME...
    It's a tough job but, someone has to do it

...Am I correct in thinking that the speed of the film is matched with the speed of the subject? So, dog running in back yard picture is 800 speed?...
    No but, indirectly yes. The higher/faster the film speed, the faster the shutter speed you can use or the lower the light you can shoot in. Fast moving objects are going to need faster shutter speeds to really "stop" the action and avoid motion blur. There is a trade off though, the faster the film, the grainier your shots will get.

...I like a crisp image with a fuzzy background...
    I think what you are trying to describe is what's know as "depth of field". This is controlled by the aperture settings on your lens, also known as f/stops. The lower the f/number, the shallower the depth of field. For instance f/2.8 will isolate your subject more from the background, giving the background that "fuzzy" (blurred) background. This background effect is known as bokeh. A higher f/stop, say f/16 with bring more of the scene into focus. You will probably use this more for landscape shots.

...I love sepia tone, but I can just order that in processing, yes?...
    Traditionally speaking, sepia toning is done during printing in the darkroom, primarily with B&W printing. If you shot some B&W and wanted prints made, there are specialty printing companies that can do this for you. More than likely once you get up and going, unless you set up a darkroom, you will be working with scans of your shots in which case you can add this in with most photo editing programs. Then you would send the digital files out for printing or even take them to Walmart.

...Is it best to print reprints from the negatives or would having them put to a CD and reprinting be acceptable?...
    This all comes down to your own personal preference. Both are perfectly acceptable. You more than likely will be printing from scans of your negatives. This will offer you the most flexibility and will be the cheapest option. You can pick up good scanners for about $100 which will save you a lot of money over having the lab do it. You can have reprints done from the original negatives as well but, unless you want "straight" prints (no editing), you will be paying a fortune to have a specialty lab rework your prints in the darkroom.

I think that covers everything...LOL Those books I recommended will answer these questions quite a bit more in depth. I think you'll find the members here very friendly and helpful. Don't ever hesitate to ask any questions :thumbsup:

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Thread Information