Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Loading Film Reels 101

This is a thread I have been wanting to do for a while just, didn't have means to shoot digi video. Turns out my housemate's cam will do it. Funny thing I found out shooting these s that I have become so used to doing this in the changing bag that it was actually HARDER doing it with being able to see what I was doing...LOL I laid everything out and shot on top of my changing bag to show how I lay things in the bag when doing this for real. I hope this helps some of you get started.

120/220 And Steel Reels

For steel reels, all you need is your film, a reel, and your tank/cover/cap. First, start by unwinding the paper wrapper until you get to the start of the film. Take the end of the film and lay it just over the spring holder. Slowly pull the film forward until it slips onto the clip and then just slide the edge under the bar and release the clip. Feel with your finger to make sure it is in straight and securely. Begin to unwind the film from the roll, separating the paper backing from the film. Hold the roll in your palm and use the edges of your thumb and forefinger to give a slight bevel to the film. Slowly begin to wind the film onto the reel making sure to keep the film straight to the reel so you don't get any kinks. When you get to the end of the film, slowly pull the tape away from the film and fold it over the end of the film making sure it is stuck down. Load the last bit of film onto the reel. When you are finished, feel along the ends of the reel. If you feel any edges of the film, you have misloaded the film at some point. Carefully unload the reel and try again. Once finished, put the reel in the tank, put on the lid, and last put on the cap. I put the cap on last because if you have the cap on the lid before putting the lid on, the tank will have air pressure built up and one time when pulling the tank out of the bag, the lid popped off on me. The process is essentially the same for 35mm but, I don't have any 35mm steel reels to demonstrate, sorry

120/220 And Plastic Autoload Reels

Loading plastic reels is a bit different than steel reels. For this you will need your film, tank, reel, center post, and scissors. When using plastic reels I like to full separate the film from the paper backing before loading my reel. When you have the film separated, cut off the tape end and give a little snip to the corners. Insert the end of the film under the loading tabs and slowly pull it onto the reel, just past the ball bearings. Now grab an end of the reel in each of your palms and insert your forefingers into the ends of the rolls of film. Don't stick your fingers all the way in, just enough to keep the film in place. To load the film on, just twist the ends of the reel and the film with load right on. When finished, slip the reel onto the center post and push to the end. Put the reel and post into the tank with the reel at the bottom. Put in the the funnel top and lock it into place.

35mm And Plastic Autoload Reels

Like with MF film, you will need you film, tank, reel, center post, and scissors but, you will also need a bottle opener. Using the bottle opener, pop the end off the canister and slide out the film. Using the scissors, snip off the film leader. Just like with the 120/220, insert the end of the film under the loading tabs and slowly pull the film onto the reel, just past the ball bearings. With 35mm, I hold the film in my right hand and the reel in my left. Using my thumb on top of the reels and fingers on the bottom, engage the reels autoloading function. When you get to the end of the film, snip off the end and load the remainder on to the roll. Insert the center post in the reel and push to the bottom. Put the reel and post into the tank, put on the funnel top, and lock it into place.

For some reason I prefer to work on the floor. It's just more comfortable to me than working on a table top. The more comfortable you are, the less you'll fidget while loading, and the less problems you will have. Please keep in mind that this is just my process. Experiment and practice to find out what works best for you. I hope this helps

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

drg

Re: Loading Film Reels 101

Aaron,

Great idea for a post.

Umm, are there supposed to be photos or video ? ? ?

I'm not seeing any if there are?
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

They are Youtube video links. I did a little video demonstration for each of the types listed above. Are they not showing?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

drg

There they Are! I had to reload the page a couple of times.

Very cool.

That should explain a lot for some people!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks drg Next up will be showing the whole development process. Only problem is I don't have any video editing software so it would be a huge video. Need to look for some freeware editing program.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thread Information