Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Holy crap that was easy! Thanks guys for the help!

WOOHOO! Just got done processing my first rolls. I did 2 rolls of Plus-X 125, one shot in the Nikkormat and one shot in the Canonet. These were done in Kodak HC-110, dilution H, for 5 1/2 minutes. Thanks again everyone for putting up with my questions. That was WAY easier than I thought it would be. I almost feel stupid for all the fuss

Happy Shooting!
    Aaron

PS - Here's a quick shot of how one came out. I know, I know.... I need a scanner. Soon enough, soon enough
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Holy crap that was easy! Thanks guys for the help!-firstnegs.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Re: Holy crap that was easy! Thanks guys for the help!

Awesome! It's pretty amazing pulling the developed negs out of the canister and actually seeing images on them, isn't it?! Looks good, too - clear base (not pinkish tint) and the contrast looks about right (results you get when scanning are what matters, but I see some tonality). Ya did good!

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

congrats. welcome to the world of black and white film. It's really a thing of beauty, even with excellent digital post processing you just can't get that look of b&w film.

Congratulations, Aaron!

It's fun, isn't it?

Keep it up, and post some pictures when you can.

Paul

Well, went to a local discount store and what do you know, they had gotten in a shipment of electronics from a store that went out of business. They had a couple Canoscan LiDE 70's for only $47.99. Couldn't resist. Frankly, the scanner pretty much stinks for film but, will get me by til I can afford a good scanner. It's kind of hard to judge my negs with this thing. I have to import into Photoshop and convert it. Below is a scan of a couple frames. One is after I did my best to turn it full b&w in Photoshop, the other is a straight grayscale scan. Any advice for converting negs in Photoshop?

PS- I need to remember to watch my horizon lines I've gotten way to used to straightening horizons being part of my digital work flow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Holy crap that was easy! Thanks guys for the help!-first-negs.jpg   Holy crap that was easy! Thanks guys for the help!-first-negs-original.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

converting negs? as in, just inverting the colors? there's a command invert, i believe it may just be command I, but it's in there somewhere.

Thanks Brent I was using the invert command. I think I worded my question wrong. I wondering how I can convert to essentially make it like a "contact print" so I can gauge how my shots would print. I haven't quite learned how to "read" a negative yet. I think I'm overexposing some shots. I'm not sure if it's the meter itself or how I am metering. Most of the ones that looks a little overexposed were shot in pretty harsh midday sunlight. Or could it be they were shot fine but I overdeveloped them???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Holy crap that was easy! Thanks guys for the help!-first-negs-2.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I always had best luck scanning them as a color slide, then using Invert in Photoshop. From there, use the Channel Mixer (there's a thread about how to do it in Digital Imaging I think) to turn it into b&w. You could use Greyscale but can fine-tune the results with Channel Mixer. Spend a little time with scanning to see if the results on the film are working. If not, try shooting in lower contrast but keep the developing process the same and see how that works.

I probably mentioned before that changing one variable at the time is the best way to learn what's going on and how one change affects the whole process. It takes a little longer but you'll really know how it all works.

Wow Aaron. I hope mine turn out that good. I should have all of the materials soon. The film is already shot and waiting.....
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks a_v and Greg Arggh, that scanner is going back. I'd been trying all afternoon and it's just no go on film. I've tried everything including hours of Google searching but I can't get it to scan a negative for chit. Any larger than this and you could see why. I checked at Best Buy and they have the Canon 4400f and Epson V200 for about $100.From searching too, I'm apparently far from the only one having problems with this scanner. Oh well, just goes to show the cheap isn't always the best way to go

Greg, I'm really looking forward to seeing how yours come out. Just watch your mix and tap water temps. I made sure all were consistent temps and other than that went straight by Kodak's times. Easy as pie. I seriously feel so stupid for having it built up to be some big huge complicated process Oh, and don't forget to practice loading reels beforehand!!!

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I am proud for you Aaron. Congrats.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thank you very much Greg :blush2: Big thanks to everyone here that helped me out! GOtta tell you Greg, You can't even compare the sense of accomplishment of pulling out that roll of film. Doesn't compare to taking even your best shot with a digital :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    You can't even compare the sense of accomplishment of pulling out that roll of film. Doesn't compare to taking even your best shot with a digital :thumbsup:
    Great, ain't it? I read, read and read some more (including some advice saying that you need to learn how to do it in a class - then obsessed about all the details and finally just did it. I've never had a problem, but I haven't done all that much of it compared to a lot of people. It's just such a totally new thing that I worried a lot about it. And I felt the same way; it really wasn't that hard. Good point about any mistake just being the cost of tuition!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    ...And I felt the same way; it really wasn't that hard...
    I should probably rephrase the "that was easy" line...LOL Was easy to get results. Now to get it dialed in and get great prints... Oh boy, I've got some reading to do

....Good point about any mistake just being the cost of tuition!
    LOL... I was asking about HC-110 dilutions and for advice over on APUG. That was the words of wisdom from one of the members. Couldn't resist sticking that in my sig.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I was asking about HC-110 dilutions and for advice over on APUG.
    So you were cheating on us, huh?

Film processing is becoming a bit of a lost art - even standard b&w. Good that you found APUG - I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge on that site. I've never made a darkroom print but it seems like that's where the years of experimenting really pay off. Even with just developing film, there are almost countless variables to work with including film, chemistry, agitation, ISO, developing time, temperature...

Getting what you need from the negative for what you plan to do with it (scan) is the goal. I've heard that Ansel Adams negatives really could never have been straight printed - he exposed and developed based on what he wanted from a negative when making prints from it. That's the idea...

So you were cheating on us, huh?
    Busted!... DOH! Probably shouldn't mention that I even got a paid subscription there... I post occasionally on a couple others as well. I feel so cheap and dirty PR is still my main squeeze that I always come home to though :thumbsup:

You know, now that I have some negatives done, I don't think I will be happy with just scanning negs...LOL I think I had just built it up to be such a big deal that I figured developing prints would be out of my league. Now that I've seen how easy the negs were I want a full darkroom...LOL
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thanks a_v and Greg Arggh, that scanner is going back. I'd been trying all afternoon and it's just no go on film. I've tried everything including hours of Google searching but I can't get it to scan a negative for chit. Any larger than this and you could see why. I checked at Best Buy and they have the Canon 4400f and Epson V200 for about $100.From searching too, I'm apparently far from the only one having problems with this scanner. Oh well, just goes to show the cheap isn't always the best way to go

Greg, I'm really looking forward to seeing how yours come out. Just watch your mix and tap water temps. I made sure all were consistent temps and other than that went straight by Kodak's times. Easy as pie. I seriously feel so stupid for having it built up to be some big huge complicated process Oh, and don't forget to practice loading reels beforehand!!!

Aaron
    For scanning negatives you need to have the back light top cover for the flatbed document scanners. In the twain driver there should be adjustments when the negative adapter is connected. At lest that what happens when I us my film scanning adapter with my epson scanner.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    For scanning negatives you need to have the back light top cover for the flatbed document scanners. In the twain driver there should be adjustments when the negative adapter is connected. At lest that what happens when I us my film scanning adapter with my epson scanner.
    Thanks freygr. Yeah, the one I just bought is just a straight up basic flat bed. My girlfriend is going to go return it for me and I'm going to head out to Best Buy on my next day off. That or I may just order from Newegg as they have a few good options right now for cheap.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Don't be affraid of making wet prints, if that's what you want to do. Personally, I think that's easier than getting a good negative. Once you've got a good negative, printing is no big deal. It's printing bad negatives that's hard. You basically do the same stuff you do in photoshop, just with different techniques. So, think about how hard the photoshop work is for a bad shot vs a good shot and it's the same thing.

However, I do think you can get some nice prints from scanning negatives. It's just a different learning process. I'm using a Canoscan 8400f, and I think it works alright for B&W, but not so much for color. I hope to upgrade to a Coolscan V ED by the end of the year. You can see some of my scans on my flickr page if you're interested. I usually put the details in the "tags." Here's a few examples:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1604032&size=o

Paul

If you are still looking at a scanner, try a dedicated slide/negative scanner rather than a flatbed, unless you need the flatbed as well for other stuff. The results are so dramatically different.

I bought the Acer Scanwit 2720S several years ago and for negative/slide scanning it beat the pants of any flatbed I used.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Paul, some great b&w's you have there. I had thought about the 8400f actually. They have some listed on clearance from Canon's online store. I think I may be leaning towards an Epson 4490 right now. They're having a sale on refurbs through Epson's outlet store for under $100 including shipping!

cyberlord, Thanks for your suggestion. I wish I could afford a good dedicated scanner but, due to some upcoming financial obligations, I am on a VERY limited budget, so I'm just looking for something basic for the time being.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thread Information