Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Expired Film - Advice needed

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing some expired Portra 160nc. It's been expired for a reasonable amount of time, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me.

Is it worth it? It' supposedly been refridgerated since it was purchased as well.

Cheers,
    Danic
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Expired Film - Advice needed

If it's been stored properly, I would think it should be fine. If you purchase it, I would shoot a test roll first and see how it turns out before using it on something really important like a wedding or other paid job.

I have purchased expired film in the past and have never had a problem with it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

How old is it? How good is the deal? If it's only a few years out of date and it's been kept refrigerated, it should be fine. If it has gotten too hot or if it's a lot older than that, it might not be worth it. If the price is good and you don't plan to do anything real important with it, you don't have much to loose. I agree that you should shoot a test roll before depending on it, and it might be a good idea to bracket some shots to see what ISO works best.

Paul

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Also keep in mind...

Quote Originally Posted by danic
    I'm looking at purchasing some expired Portra 160nc. It's been expired for a reasonable amount of time, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me...
    Even if the film has been subject to normal lengthy storage, the worst is it probably will show some slight color shifting. If you scan and post-process your images on a computer, that's usually easy enough to correct...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Cheers Guys,

The film has been expired for about 4 years. I don't plan on doing anything special with it, I just want to shoot some nice film for my benefit.

I'll be scanning my shots anyway, so I'll have the ability to fix any colour shift, but I'll try not to. I like working with what I have, if you know what I mean
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

I'll have the ability to fix any colour shift, but I'll try not to. I like working with what I have, if you know what I mean
    Well, in that case it will look like it was cross-processed, which surfaces as a very trendy fashion photo style from time to time...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I've never heard of the expression cross processed, what does it mean?
    danic

RedBubble

I've never heard of the expression cross processed, what does it mean?
    With film, color film processed in the "wrong" chemstry. IOW, slide film in C-41 developer, or print film in E-6 developer. With digital, many of these film effects are easily created using color controls or pre-set FX filters.

As I said, it is a noticable color shift from "accurate" in an image. Now, take an ordinary scene, and it may simply look like a mistake (or expired film, heh heh). But, make it a pretty lady in a fashion shot, and it becomes stylish...

Below is the original and a cross-process effect done in photoshop.

Model: Mandie Mutchie Hair/MU: Lynn Golovich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Expired Film - Advice needed-mandie_cross.jpg  

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Ah, right. I see. It's interesting, I never thought of it like that. I was wondering how I'm going to shoot 160nc, whether I do shoot it at 160 or shoot at 100 as I don't think any of my local labs will be able to process at 160.

I'm trying to see if anyone does shoot it at 100, but I can't seem too find anyone

EDIT: Or will this result in the cross processing as it may result in a colour shift?

I'm looking to purchase the film in the next 3-4 weeks, so it should be another 6 weeks before I get right into it. I have to wait for my tax cheque to come back

Nice photo's BTW!
    danic

RedBubble

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I don't think any of my local labs will be able to process at 160.
    Why not? Any lab should be able to process this film, even Walmart.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I have 160 processed all of the time. Anyone will do it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

ctg

You shouldn't have any processing problems as standard processing time for color negative films is pretty much a constant. I'ave been shooting some out-date Fuji 400 @ ASA 320 setting but it isn't pro film & being dated I thought it best to increase (adjust) the exposure.
    I have shot 160 before @ the rated film speed without any problem, pro film (the stuff they keep in the cooler) is much tighter (in latitude) so you can go over board by over exposing it.

Thread Information