Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

E200 Question. Bad scan or normal?

I took a roll of E200 for the first time not long ago and the pictures I got back were very grainy. I am not sure if the film is suppose to be like that or if it is a bad scan. They look like pictures taken in the 70's/80's.

I used this roll because it was recommended to me. When I asked the person who recommended it to me he said it was probably just a bad scan. I read somewhere that push processing really helps also.

any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject. Was it something I did? Is that normal of the film? Should I push process a stop or two?

I have some other pictures if anyone wants to see more examples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E200 Question. Bad scan or normal?-gabyreg.jpg   E200 Question. Bad scan or normal?-gabyedit.jpg  
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

Re: E200 Question. Bad scan or normal?

I´m not familiar with film ,but I know that depending on the brand and type you get different amounts of grain.
    And yes many scanners produce grain and degrade the quality, varies from model to model and also depends on the settings you scan with.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

it's a roll of kodak ektachrome 200.

I just didn't think it would be a bad scan since I did take it to a respected camera store.
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

The department stores can certainly let you down. It seems to me here lately scans I have been getting back are worse than ever. It is getting more and more frustrating to shoot film. If you want better results get away from the department film too. Order you some Fuji Reala or Kodak Ektar.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

drg

How big (dimensions) are the scans and what portion of the total image is the girl? The grain structure doesn't look untypical of of KODAK chrome at all. Just looks like it is a very small section of the image that has been reproduced thus enhancing the grain structure, or it also wasn't scanned properly.

The processing looks like the tank was dirty. Fresh chemistry might have made a difference as it seems one of the color ranges has been altered.

Elite Chrome 200 is a professional chrome film. EKTAR is a negative film. Different beasts that shoot and come out differently. E-chrome has the edge in grain and noise. It isn't the easiest processing film however.

Pushing film will make the grain bigger and more pronounced. No matter what you do that is what happens and if it is improperly developed it just gets worse!

Takes a while to learn to get the kind of image you want from either type. The best learning tool is to bracket exposures with chrome to see what you want. Take the first image at regular settings from your meter. Then increase the shutter speed by one setting for the next exposure and then decrease the shutter by one setting from the first setting for the third exposure. Then when you get the developed images back, you can see which 'bias' is best for your type of photography. Under difficult lighting situations you may always want to do this to 'get the shot'.

Post a couple of more scans if you would like. Try posting the whole scanned image in the gallery here at PR and then link to it so we can see what else might be going on with your first experience with this film.

Best wishes
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I got a High res scan and I posted some in my gallery here in the PR gallery. There is two shots that I posted on there.

You can see the grain in one and the other looks pretty clear. I went to see if it was my film or if it was just the scan. Went I grabbed the box that my film was returned to me in... it wasn't my film. I went back to the place and they are doing their best to find it and get it back to me.
    I am thinking of just switching films and go to a more forgiving film. I used this one because it was a recommendation but I don't think I'm ready for it at this time.
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

drg

Marco,

Before you go any further, try an experiment.

Shoot a roll of color negative (print film) that is very common such as Fuji Fujicolor Superia 400 (X-tra). Then have it developed and scanned at the Walgreen's/Costco/CVS/WalMart of your choice. Even get it scanned if you want. See how those photographs come out.

The purpose of this is too see if the camera is working properly and your technique isn't too far out of the range of 'normal'.

Your 'flickr' photos look fine except for the E6. I'd quickly check out the camera to make sure that all is still working before venturing to far down the chrome path.

There appear to be all kinds of 'problems' with these images, but most look like they are from bad processing/scanning.

I hope they find your original slides. Did you get back someone else's slides or did they return negatives from something else? I would also find another place to go for processing regardless of reputation.

Best of luck and we will look forward to more photos!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

No, I have not got my film back. It was really frustrating but I went back yesterday and I was just told they haven't had anyone return it. :mad2: They just gave me a new roll of E200 and a gift card to make up for it. Needless to say, it did not make up for it and really bummed me out.

I will try that film and see how they turn out. I was actually thinking of taking my camera to get cleaned and all of that jazz. It is an old camera I have had for a long time and never been cleaned.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will post the next set when I shot it.
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

Thread Information