Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

What do you guys recomend?...

Hi im new here and this is my case..Ok so What would you guys recomend for a guy who wants an inexpensive video camera ( probably one of those point and shoot ones) that i could bring eveywhere and film with friends, with good quality and just a little inexpensive good camera to make videos with friends....so could anyone help me? thanks alot...

Re: What do you guys recomend?...

hello anyone ???????????????????????

there are so many great cameras on the market that i couldn't begin to recommend one over the other. I suggest you check out our reviews page.

allright cool, but if u could think of one decent inexpensive point and shoot camera what would it be? just something decent and cheap...ok thanks again guys

Producer, Media Educator (Video Dude) kkolbo's Avatar

:mad2: It would help if you could define cheap. A couple of hundred? Less than a thousand? Less than ten thousand? Do you need to edit the video material (makes a big difference in the format that you choose). Do you just want to shoot and then drop it into your DVD player to watch and enjoy? For around $500 there are a couple of point and shoot DVD camcorders that are great for just shoot and throw in the player. Editing them is possible with Sony Vegas Movie Studio but by editing that type of video it looses quality and it is not a painless process. For editing, miniDV ones are better. Do you want to wow your friends with HD? There are lots of consumer level HD offerings right now.

This is why the suggestion of reading the reviews and think about what turns you on. It is no longer a case of choosing between a few models of VHS monsters. The types vary, all with trade offs that are specific to your situation.

Personally I carry three different Sony camcorders. At work I use Canon and Panasonic types. All use miniDV tape and I do a lot of heavy editing (see signature line).
    Keith S. Kolbo
    Producer, Media Educator and Author
    Sony Vegas Certification Trainer

My forum participation is provided by Amvona.com
    My site is: www.amediaprof.com
    Amvona.com Profile and Blog

personally i am a fan of the panasonic 3ccd point and shoot mini dv cameras, 3ccd and a leica lens are hard to go past. on the downside they lack easy access to manual controls (although most of the models have them) and the are sd cameras not hd but they do work very nicely for general shooting. incidentally there if you want to edit your video at all, then most disc and tape based cameras are a pain as they save files in formats that are harder to work with, so tape is still the way to go.

Thread Information