• 04-19-2013, 02:05 PM
    Ecooper
    video: western thatching ants in action
    <O:p></O:p>
    I recently bought a new camera: an Olympus OM-D E-M5. One of the reasons I bought it was that I wanted to try my hand at video. <O:p></O:p>
    A couple of weeks ago I took some video of western thatching ants. I really didn’t have a plan, and to be honest, I wasn’t all that sure of what I was doing! But I shot a few minutes of video, came home and edited the footage using MS Movie Maker. Amazingly the whole process only took a couple of hours! <O:p></O:p>
    So now I have my own Youtube channel, I have uploaded a video, and it’s about ants...I'm such a geek! <O:p></O:p>
    David Attenborough has nothing to worry about; but it was a fun little project and it has me thinking about the possibilities...<O:p></O:p>
    Please check it out and don’t hesitate to comment. Any suggestions for improvement would be gratefully received.<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p>http://youtu.be/D6xFgGlHsUE
    </O:p>

Cheers,<O:p></O:p>
    EC<O:p></O:p>
  • 05-06-2013, 04:26 AM
    Skyman
    Re: video: western thatching ants in action
    Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this. You tube is blocked at my new job and I wanted to watch the video before I posted a reply.

I actually think that was a well constructed video. The story was engaging enough that it wasn't until the very end of the video that I noticed the wobbly camera work. In fact that is really the only thing I can think of that needs improving and given you are working with such fiddly subjects it is a pretty minor point. I do think that investing in a good video tripod with a fluid head would do wonders.

editing wise you got it spot on for length. Any longer and I would have wanted more about the ants and their habits (like why they build nests that are different to other ants) but 2.5 mins was perfect to hold even the shortest attention span and still tell a good story.

oh and I love the quality of the video from the OM-D E-M5