Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: Video Formats?

Video Formats?

Hi Everyone,

I'm a still photography hobbyist. I know almost nothing about video, but I'd like to learn a little. I was wondering if anyone can point me to a resource that can explain the different video formats, in terms of what they are typically used for. For example, what kind of format is used for typical TV shows, high definition TV, big-screen movies, etc. I know it's probably more complicated than that. So far Google has just confused me, probably because I don't know the terminology.

Thanks,
    Paul

Re: Video Formats?

Paul, thanks for your post. I apologise for not replying straight away but i wanted to see where the thread would go. this is a difficult question as the technology is constantly changing and due to the way new technologies are being developed no longer fixed.

I will start with analogue video formats. (bearing in mind that i might inadvertantly refer to something that is pal specific)

first we have vhs, then beta tapes (i know the beta format lost the war but it was the better format which is important later) then we have 8mm and hi 8 tapes and stepping into the pro or broadcast formats we have sp beta and betamax.
    In digital formats (all of which have the potential to be broadcast quality depending on the camera that captures it) we have:
    digital 8
    mini dv
    dvc pro
    dv cam
    digi beta
    (ok that is the easy part now for the hard part)
    any of these formats can incorporate:
    Variable frame rates
    variable resolutions (from 720x576pal) the mini dv default to the hi definition 1080x???? depending on the camera.
    there are also hard drive based digital video cameras which can be customised to record any format or standard you could desire. in theory a hi definition camera still uses the same codecs as its standard definition brother or sister so a mini dv hd cam will provide a "feel" like a mini dv sd cam whilst a digi beta cam should still look and feel different. it should also be noted that these formats etc get garbled when you throw in differing compression standards and output formats (who is going to win the blue ray hd dvd war anyone enyone?)

I should point out that you can transfer almost anything to television format with a proper time code. I have even had Amiga computer animation work transfered to broadcast television.

Having formally studied television production and done it as well, as producer, director and technician, I find that producing a good video, requires one heck of a lot of planning, a script, great lighting, good audio, and a crew, among other things.

What I have usually seen from digicams is the equivalent of what used to be done on Super 8s, way back when. Perhaps I have been spoiled by my background, but I think that most videocamera users are beyond their depth when it comes to producing a great video.

Since video is pretty difficult to upload and critique, I am not sure how technique could be improved.

Ronnoco

Skyman / Ronnoco,

Thanks for your responses. I recently did a short film for a local contest, because a friend wanted to and I thought it sounded fun. It was a really stupid, 3 min spoof of Snakes on a Plane. It got me interested in doing more, because I really enjoyed it. But, I also gained a new respect for people who make movies. Three of us spent every free second we had for a week to make a really bad 3 minute flick. I knew it would be a lot of work, but it was still more than I expected.

Anyway, thanks for the info. This seems like something that's probably difficult to get started in. Maybe one day I'll get the motivation to try again. Until then, I'll be paying a little more attention to what others are doing with video.

Paul

it is not difficult to get into at all. you can make a very good short film with a mini dv handicam a good microphone and solid planning. it is very important to have a decent treatment, script, shotlist and story board. if you do those things before you pick up a camera you can effectively halve your workload and make editing a joy rather than a pain.

Hey there, I know its a bit late but here goes anyway!

Ronnoco has a point there, and its really not asa difficult as you may think!

Video formats will be given by the client or the TV or the production house....

The difference between the formats is important to know of course, but you could get started before knowing the full details. I worked as creative director on a couple of projects ( short clips mainly) and have worked "up-close-and-personal" with the editors in post-production.

What matters most is quality (as always) and this where the production house will come in, asking for a particular format! also affects budget!

All in all, what i'm trying to say is, the videographer (or any other term referring to cameraman) doesn't really need to know the full details of the formats! Its up to the production and post-production.

Dunno if this helps or not, but this is my humble opinion!

Cheers,
    Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

I'll say it now.

BetaSP is still king.
    XDCam is next... watch out tape eaters, here comes the disc.

:lol: spacey you just made my day! go get a dvd of an old tv program, something from the bbc like "the goodies" this will really show you how far the technology has progressed.

incidentally i think broadcast systems will largely bypass optical disk based technologies and move directly to hard drive based disk technologies.

Hard-disk is something to be said. Solid state (P2) is proving itself, the initial ENG gripes of doing a presser on a 4 or 8gb card weren't as bad as originally thought, but I still dont like the whole "crap my other card is still downloading" issue.

Hard disk may be the future for playback, but so many stations are still using tape, or switching to P2 or XD. I'm still waiting on the GVF Infinity to prove itself... I've only seen a few groups sucsessfully pull off full NLE workflow with playback to air by server. They always have a fallback tape system, just in case.

The only proven close to durable hard disk recorder I've seen is the Firestore FS3. It's out of date now, I dont think it even recoreds other than DV25. I like the Anton Bauer mount and solid metal body, everything else today seems so weak.

SP to an extent is still king. All the affiliates still have a SP/SX deck, and will continue to do so. All my VNR's still come in on SP, and a BVW-D600 (the top of the line SP cam) still looks better than any DV-SD camera I've yet to see. The close competitor is the DSR500 series. The lower end "industrial" SP cams, what intially shot the BBC series' - are something to be said. The bad dynamic range and just general quality of the camera will explain this. The D600 is still a competitor. Also, the Ikegami H55 SP cam, another beautiful image-maker, I still get calls for it.

Formats will always be a war.

BTW, most TV shows are shot on 35mm or a digital 24p variant (Panasonic Varicam or Sony F900) and then the final distribution format is up to the post-production staff.

Thread Information