Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Used to work, now I just get big chunks of colors

Samsung Digital Video Camera. Firewire connection. Intel iMac (OS 10.4.11) iMovie. Used to just plug and play. Now when it is uploading videos to the computer it just shows up as bix squares of random colors. The viewscreen on the camera is showing me what is playing on the video, the computer just isn't getting it. I don't have another cable to check and see if the cable is bad. Anyone have a similar experience? What did you do? Did it work?

Thanks.

Re: Used to work, now I just get big chunks of colors

That sounds more like a software than hardware problem. I think Apple has an iMovie forum, which might get your more replies. Off hand, I'd check to make sure your camera is shooting a format compatible with iMovie. I know you say it used to work, but I'm thinking you may have accidentally changes something on the camera- maybe switching it to PAL, or changing the frame rate.

I've been playing around with it and if I turn off the external hard drive it works fine. Just some interference from the cables? The bad news is the external hard drive is what we got for all of the video.

The easy work around is to keep the external drive off. Transfer to the internal drive. Then turn the camera off and the external drive on, transfer from the internal drive to the external, and delete from the internal drive.

BUT! it doesn't sound like 'interference' from cables. It sounds like both the hard drive and the camera are trying to use the same firewire address. I don't have a single firewire device, so I don't know if you can manually assign them, but I'll bet there's a conflict, and I'll bet there's a way to solve it.

Thread Information