• 08-26-2004, 01:23 AM
    iKwak
    Tripods for Video Camcorder
    I am fairly new to digital video. I am looking for a tripod that I can use with the camcorder. The tripod head must move smoothly, from left to right, up and down, and vice versa.

I read the Tripod tutorial here on photographyreview.com but I did not learn enough about the different type of heads.
    Could you tell me the difference of fluid, 3 pan, and etc.?
  • 08-26-2004, 05:50 AM
    Skyman
    you want a fluid head on your tripod, this is what give you a smooth panning action. brands to look for are manfrotto, velbon and miller. they are the big 3 when it comes to video tripods.
  • 08-26-2004, 05:51 PM
    MJS
    Don't be cheap.
    Get a tripod that is about one more size than you need. You will be happier with the stable platform and smoother moves. On our consumer sized Sony's we are using the Bogen 3126/27 mini fluid head with the 3011 legs. Our advanced and intermediate shooters are happy with the Bogen/Manftrotto 501 head on any appropriate sized legs. We are kind of partial to claw/ball heads, relying on the legs for height. The claw/ball allows for a quick, easy and level set-up in the field or studio. Miller, Vinten and Sachtler also make excellent, albeit more expensive units.

Good luck,
    MJS