Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

HD Camcorder or Digital still camera

My wife and I are taking a 1 month vacation in the south island of New Zealand and wish to capture its panoramic granduer for our future enjoyment. I already own a Canon PowerShot S400 digital camera with 4 Megapixel capability. One can use its panoramic consecutive picture overlap feature to take wide shots, but then one has to figure out the best way of printing such a panoramic shot.

I am now considering the purchase of a Canon high definition HV20 MPV camcorder in order to capture the beauty of NZ. We have a HD TV with a HDMI input. From 40 years ago when I used a Bell & Howell super 8 analog color wind-up cine camera I remember that when one pans a scene, one does it slowly. If I do this panning correctly does this forum believe that I will capture NZ's beauty better with such a HiDef camcorder than with my PowerShot? Apart from a protective UV filter lens and extra high capacity Lithium Ion battery, what other accessories should I buy for this camera. If a mountain range is say 10 miles away will a telephoto lens achieve much?

Re: HD Camcorder or Digital still camera

I print at home my panorama shots all the time. I now have a larger printer but before I had an Epson C-80 series and it would take panorama paper which I cut off roll paper and I could print an 8 inch by 44 inch print on that cheap printer, and it did not brake the bank either. With my new Epson R-2400 I have to order another batch of ink soon an it will be over $150 USD ( restock to 2 complete sets of cartridges).
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: HD Camcorder or Digital still camera

The Canon you are considering has some pretty nice specs. I would suggest some type of light weight tripod. Remember you will look at the stills differently than you will a moving picture, although I don/t believe there will be much of a difference if you do decide to shoot stills with the 3.1 mp capable camcorder. There would be quite a difference between that and say a 10 mp DSLR like the 40D. My personal camcorder almost always has an auxiliary wide angle lens on it, I like to go close and wide. If you think the opportunity might present itself, an aux telephoto or wide angle might not be a bad idea.

Good luck and good shooting, but most importantly, enjoy your trip.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information