Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

LIVE VIDEO stream FIREWIRE problems.

I did a test run of a LIVE video stream using a Sony HDR-FX7 video camera and a HP notebook that uses Windows 7.

The problem is that my HP notebook (which is brand new) has NO firewire port. So I went and bought a FireWire adapter card that plugs into the side of my notebook.

In "Device and Printers" the adapter card shows up BUT when i plug in the Sony camera firewire cable into the adapter nothing shows up? i set the menu opetions in the Sony Camera to i.Link like it said in troubleshooting, but nothing! Can someone please help me?

Re: LIVE VIDEO stream FIREWIRE problems.

what program are you using to stream the video? it may not be recognising your adapter as a video source?
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

ustream.com with adobe live codec

however, windows 7 OS WAS NOT recognizing so i am thinking that ustream is not the problem. the first step would be to have windows OS recognize camera right?

any help is greatly appreciated.

not necessarrily, as your firewire adapter does the controlling of the camera and it might still work if it doesn't recognise the camera. First point of call would be to record something and try to capture it in windows movie maker or something so you can test if it will capture. If it doesn't check your firewire cable. If you still have no joy see if you can borrow a camera and test it. one final thought you are trying to stream but not every camera can. so the record option might help you test this capability.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

I just bought a Sony HDR-FX7 for the purpose of live streaming over the Internet. The key in getting it to work was going to the camera menu and turning the ilink to "On." My PC immediately recognized the camera and I was able to begin streaming using the Windows Media Encoder.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieHyatt View Post
    I just bought a Sony HDR-FX7 for the purpose of live streaming over the Internet. The key in getting it to work was going to the camera menu and turning the ilink to "On." My PC immediately recognized the camera and I was able to begin streaming using the Windows Media Encoder.
    Good info. Thanks for replying. And welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information