Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

I need help buying a camera.

Alright, first off this is my first post, so my apologies if its in the wrong spot. I'm a skateboarder, and I need to film. I also would like to make a short film or something like that. Its always been an interest. My question is would something like this be alright? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....prd83000050007

If not could someone maybe show me the right direction. I cant really afford a VX-2000 or anything like that. But any help is appreciated.

-Tyler

Re: I need help buying a camera.

the camera is ok to start with, but reading the specification this line concerned me a little:
    "Super High-Band processor expands the camera's signal frequency range to raise horizontal resolution to 520 lines or more for improved image clarity" it sounds like they are making the camera cheaper by using a lower resolution ccd then interpolating the image. that would result in a loss of sharpness and clarity. I do like that the camera has manual controls as you will most likely need to use manual white balance and exposure to get good results with your skateboarding, especially at times when your subject is likely to be backlit like on a halfpipe or in a skate park. can your budget stretch to a panasonic? they have 3ccd models (so they use the same technology as broadcast cameras) I do like that you have opted for a mini dv camera as in my opinion they still offer the best quality and "bang for bucks" good luck in your search. let us know what you end up getting and post a review for it and if you are able post some footage.

How much are the 3 CCD card cameras?

i prefer the 3ccd tape cameras, they are cheaper and higher quality. i am not sure as prices in Australia are different, but i am pretty sure you can get the consumer ones for less than $500. the broadcast / professional ones start at closer to $3,000 and go up very quickly

Alright, I will look around for one. Panasonic 3cc Mini Dv is what im looking for then? Sorry for all the questions, I have used cameras i just dont know anything about them. alright i found one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...469216-9902047

thats about $400 us. It has the 3ccd thing. the reviews said it doesnt film well in dark places, but i dont plan on doing that, so if you would take a look at that one.
    Last edited by tylern_91; 02-01-2008 at 12:35 PM.

I don't want to talk you into buying a 3ccd camera, but this is the technology that gives broadcast cameras better colour reproduction than consumer cameras. also the extra information from the extra ccd's means that if you are applying any special effects the clarity of the image can still be maintained. if you aren't worried about the dark places then i say go for it.

Alright, thanks for all your help, ill make sure i give a review of it and post some sort of footage when i get it

you need to get a MiniDV camera.
    even if it's cheap, like $200-400 it will still produce good quality, and if you get a fisheye lens, you'll be ace.
    Canon Rebel XT 350D
    75-300mm Zoom Lens
    15-55mm Lens Kit
    2GB Card

Thread Information