Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Unhappy Samsung MX20 - small lines across video (pics)

I Picked up a Samsung SC-MX20 a few days ago, when i record i get small lines that mess up the video (except when i use the viewing program it came with CyberLink MediaShow).

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5210/211446.jpg < Without CyberLink
    http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1733/244215.jpg < With CyberLink

I've tried playing the videos using, VLC, Quicktime, and WMP, i also downloaded a few videos in the same format (mp4), and there wasn't any lines.
    I also tried opening it in sony vegas, it was fine until i rendered it, then the lines came back.

Is there some setting on the video camera or something?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Samsung MX20 - small lines across video (pics)-211446.jpg   Samsung MX20 - small lines across video (pics)-244215.jpg  

Re: Samsung MX20 - small lines across video (pics)

Does it play back fine through a tv ? if so, what you are seeing is your computer not handling the interlacing on the high resolution video well enough. The reason some programs can play back the files and others can't is that some are more efficient at reading the file format than others although I must say vlc can normally play back almost anything. are the files hd? how big are they and what are the specs of your computer?

It plays back fine through the tv, but when it's connected to the tv it's like seeing it on the camera, but with a bigger screen. The files are not HD, the camera is SD. they're usually around 10000kb, it does it on small files too.

Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
    4GB Ram
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 9600 GT
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0622&SUBSYS_076519F1&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 1907 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
    Shared Memory: 1407 MB
    Last edited by Beefbin; 05-24-2009 at 11:57 PM.

hmm your computer should be more than enough to handle sd playback just fine. I get the same effect when I edit files that are too big for my computer to handle, but they seem to render out to video just fine. What I am seeing from those screen grabs is defininately an interlacing issue. can the camera record in a progressive scan mode? perhaps there is a codec for that file type that is missing or not installed correctly (messing around with codecs is never a good idea)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    hmm your computer should be more than enough to handle sd playback just fine. I get the same effect when I edit files that are too big for my computer to handle, but they seem to render out to video just fine. What I am seeing from those screen grabs is defininately an interlacing issue. can the camera record in a progressive scan mode? perhaps there is a codec for that file type that is missing or not installed correctly (messing around with codecs is never a good idea)
    I went and googled Deinterlacing and it turns out sony vegas can deinterlace, thanks alot for your help. it's fixed now:thumbsup:

Thread Information