"Reinsert the Cassette"

Printable View

• 09-27-2006, 04:25 PM
    Gloria
    "Reinsert the Cassette"
    I have a fairly new (only used one other time prior to our vacation this month) Sony Digital Video Camera (DCR-TRV480). I purchased a dozen video tapes prior to vacation. Placed each one in new ($45.00 ea) Film shield bags to help protect from the airport x ray machines. All total we took 10 flights so you can imagine how many times we went through the x-ray machines.... My question is........after about the 3rd day of our 3 wk. vacation every day I would get "reinsert the cassette". I would do so a thousand times. I would allow the camcorder to sit open in case of condensation. Somedays it would work again....using the same tape. I frequently changed tapes in case it was the tape.
    Does this mean the cassettes were bad? I have no way of knowing if they were bad before I got them.. The pictures I was able to take are okay but I was unable to use all of a tape before I would get the msg. again. What a sickening feeling when you are on vacation. Has anyone gotten this error msg. and what did you do? I hate to send it back to SONY just for a check up. Would the best treatment be to buy more new tapes and just check it out. Thanks for you input.
  • 09-27-2006, 10:20 PM
    Skyman
    Re: "Reinsert the Cassette"
    I would be inclined to send it back to sony. the tapes are most likely not the cause. Xrays wouldn't be causing them to eject. it sounds like the tape carier has become warped or bent, or that a catch is broken and so the cradle wont stay closed. most cameras have a condensation warning lamp so it is safe to rule this out. given that the camera should be still under warranty sending it to sony is the safest bet.
  • 09-28-2006, 04:46 PM
    Gloria
    Re: "Reinsert the Cassette"
    Thanks for the input. I will be sending it to Sony. It is no longer under warranty....just my luck.