Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

QuickMovie Playback Nightmare: please help!

Hello everyone!

I hope you can help me with this problem: I have a minute long Quicktime movie on my desktop and it plays fine. I transferred it to a CD-R Verbatim 52x 700MB and onto a DVD- 16x 700MB and the movie is there but it won't play properly. The video gets stuck but the audio carries on, then the dialogue is out of synch with the speaker, the zooms are horribly jittery. It's a mess! Ahhh!

I work on a G5 with Avid Xpress Pro. For the Export from the Avid, the following were selected:

Quick Time Movie

Use enabled tracks

Use Avid Codec

Custom

Video &Audio

768 x 576 size to fit

601 File Field Order Odd (upper Field...)

Display Aspect Ratio

768 x 576 (4x3 square pixel)

Movie settings

Video 'Compression Sorenson Video3'

quality: best

Frame rate: 25

Sound M-Peg-4 Audio

Sample rate: 44.1khz (Actually, the audio setting in the project is 48khz so is this a problem?)

Sample rate 16

Channel 2

Prepare for internet streaming

Fast start

The file info for the quicktime movie is 318 MB on disk (333,487,038 bytes)

Is it the disk that's too small 700MB because it seems that there is no space left on it even though the film is there in its entirety even though it plays back crazily....

Is it the Export settings which are to blame?

Or is it that the Quicktime Player's settings are different and causing the prob: I can't tell here, but this is what is ticked only:

General: Movies: open movies in new player

Sound: play sound in frontmost player only + play sound when application is in background + show graphic equalizer

Other: show content guide at startup + pause movies before switchng users + hide selection indicator 4 empty selection

Please help!!!! Thank you!

Aurora in rainy London (this weather doesn't help when you've got problems!)

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: QuickMovie Playback Nightmare: please help!

I haven't seen the problem since I only out put to quicktime reference when I need to author a DVD. Where are you located? Did you shoot in Pal, if you are NTSC, I believe that the frame rate should be 30i or 30 frames interlaced. Everything else looks like it should be rightr. Have you tried the Avid user forums yet? They can be a big help for specific fixes in cases like yours.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Hi Michael!

Thanks for coming back to me. I am using other forums but I still don't have a solution to this problem. Some progress has been achieved: to play back, you can't play it direct from the burnt disk, you have to save the copied file onto the computer's hard drive. Fine, it plays BUT it still does not look 'normal'. and there is a loss of quality from the Master Quick time file to the copied file which has been saved onto the hard drive. Why?
    And the problem is that when there is any movement like the person turns his head or there is a camera zoom, it looks a bit jittery and slight slow motion like.
    I am in London on a Mac with Avid Xpress Pro and the project is 25i.

Someone on one of the forums says that my project is 'interlaced' and most computers are 'progressive' and it is never going to look ok.

But I am happy with the Quicktime file Master on my desktop. But I need to send a copy in the post and I need to give another copy to someone else so I need to find a solution to this.
    I really appreciate you help. This is a tough one.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I may acutally end up calling Avid on Monday for this one. I don't as a rule work in 25 i or trying to import a quicktime into Avid. Skyman might be able to help with this one since I believe he works in PAL. I'll give them a call ono Monday after my morning classes.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Sorry for the delay in answering this one.

are you attempting to export straight to a cd?
    can you try exporting it to a hard drive and see if you get the same problems.

I haven't really played with avid that much, but i would recommend renedering the complete file as an uncompressed avi and then using this in a new timeline to export back to a quicktime (this way your machine isn't working so hard on the rendering) the only other thing i can think of is that if you have quicktime pro it might be better to get it to do the compression for you. you did say that you have a g5, if it is lacking in ram etc it may still be having difficulty rendering, or if you have a missing or corrupted codec you could be having problems. It is odd, in my experience macs tend to render files cleanly if under specked, they just take a lot longer. i used to run final cut pro on a old g3, it took ages but it never crashed.

let us know how you go.

Thread Information