Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

problem uploading video to computer

i have a Canon PowerShot SD400 which takes pics and videos. It has a 512MB card and the other day i took 5 pics and one 3 minute video. When i went to upload them on my computer the pictures uploaded fine but the video would never completely upload. The video is a large file (474 MB). i have put other videos on my computer from my camera in the past but never one this big. I can play the video on my computer but i cant get it on my computer. Is there any way to get the video on my computer? thanks.

Re: problem uploading video to computer

Can you find the file on the memory card. If so what is the file extension on the file.

it sounds like the connection between the camera and the computer is timing out with the larger file. the simplest way to fix this would be to invest in a usb memory card reader and simply copy the file across. however if you are unlikely to have other large video files then perhaps asking your local camera store to download the card to cd for you might be an option. let us know how you go.

its a avi file
    thanks for your help

As Skyman has said, if you are trying to transfer the file from camera to computer it might be just timing out because the file is so big. Get a card read if you haven't got one and try that, saves on the camera and the battery as well. Also the speed of transfer will be much quicker as well.

If your computer has a card reader use that.

If not try closing the program you are using to upload and open My Computer. Your camera should appear there and right click and open explore. Hopefully your avi file will appear there and you can drag it to your desktop and open with media player.

I'm assuming this is a Windows PC.

I get the same problem, my camera just fails to upload videos. I was using my USB port in the front of my case and then switched to the back USB ports and they worked.

One of the errors I got were device not properly attached or something like that.

similar problem with a Canon Powershot SD600.

Video works fine on the camera, but when I plug it through the Canon Camera-to-USB cord it can connect to the Zoom Browser software and download the file. Trouble is, when I play the video on my computer the Video has a strobe light effect (dropped frames?). Audio works fine, but the video is slow and off (same video/audio playback fine on camera).

-I tried dropping straight into MYCOMPUTER but windows media and quicktime could not play file.
    -I will try USB port in the back when I get home, but why would that differ from front USB port?

Any other recommendations? Where are the upload settings for FPS?

Thread Information