Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Video Camcorder for shooting action outdoors

Hey, I am looking to get my first Digital Camcorder. I need a camcorder that can shoot long hours of video outside. I am doing a 10 day 420km journey over the rockies and want to video lots of it. I am looking to spend about 300 - 500 on the camera and I want one that will give me the ablility to buy a long life battery aswell. Ideally I would like 12 - 20 hours of battery life and I would from what I have seen I would like to use dv tapes as they give me the best editing afterwards. I will beable to charge my battery every 2 - 3 days at which point I can drop off video tapes or disc and pick up new ones. What are your recommendations for Camcorders? I am currently looking at the ZR-800 by Canon, ZR-850 by Canon, Sony DCRHC38, and the JVC GR-D750U.

Thanks in advance
    Phil

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Video Camcorder for shooting action outdoors

Hard to go wrong with any of the listed cameras. I am partial to the Sony and Panasonic series of cameras, although Canon and JVC do a great job also. Just make sure that the lens will do what you need and that you have a pair oftghe highest capacity batteries that you can afford. Maybe a car recharger in case you will be driving for long periods from sight to sight. An aftermarket charger will usually have an AC and car DC adapter with it. Don't forget a lightweight tripod if you can squeeze it in.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Re: Video Camcorder for shooting action outdoors

Would a solar charger be useful to you? Maybe you could pair it up with a 12v car charger for the camcorder.

http://www.earthtechproducts.com/p2007.html

Thread Information