Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

problem with Sony DCR-IP55E

Hello,

I would be very grateful to anyone who could help me with the following problem:

I recently inherited a Sony DCR-IP55E. The problem being that although Windows XP says at the begining "the hardware has been installed and is ready to use" when I try to use "Movie Maker" or "Studio Nine" to edit there is no sign of any video camera.

I dont know anything about cameras and not much about computers either. This happens both with my Desktop computer and my laptop too (both using XP) and is driving me bonkers.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

youngwillie

Re: problem with Sony DCR-IP55E

are you connecting your camera through the usb or firewire connection? you need to use the firewire connection to transfer video.

Yes, well I did know that.
    I meant novice not cabbage.
    However, thank you for your time.

I apologise if i caused any offence. I see an awful lot of people with connection issues and so without being at your computer to work through my checklist it is easier to start with the simple questions. If you haven't already resolved your issue, my next step would be to look for a faulty firewire cable. if you are able test it with another device or buy another cable and test this. failing that you may have a loose connection on the firewire port on your camera. this would result in the computer seeing the camera when it is first plugged in but the connection dropping out after a few seconds. I had this on the computer end a couple of years ago and it was most frustrating, however since you stated that you have tried it already on more than one computer I would be inclined to rule it out. the firewire protocol contains its drivers as part of the device so it is very unusual for their to be driver related issues however it still remains a possibility.

Actually, the DCR-IP55E has an mini iLink plug and that leads me to believe that unless your using a proprietary SONY video cable, you may run into problems. Or,you may just have a bad cable altogether. Ways you can isolate this is to 1) try a different cable and see if it works. If it does, you know it was a bad cable. Or, use that same cable with a different camera. If that works, then you know you have an issue with your camera. This can be as easy as a driver issue. Check with SONY UK for a driver and firmware update. Also, check to see if you have the latest Service Pack for XP and check in your device manager to see if your firewire card is properly enabled. Also, if you're using a front port, try using the back port. Sometimes this can make the difference.

As for capturing, try another program. The best utility I have found for this purpose is WinDV. It's free. And not only can you capture with it without dropping a frame, but thanks to the firewire interface, you can control your camcorder directly!

That's the way I would do it. Then import it into your editor.

Thread Information